PDA

View Full Version : New Discus Not Eating

DarkSeas
10-29-2014, 10:22 PM
So this is my first time posting on the forum even though I have been a member for a while. So yesterday I picked up some new discus and they are all about 6 inches big. I acclimated them to the tank and put them in tank with the lights off all day yesterday. My question is today I dropped so flake in the tank and they seem to not be interested in it. I am using the same food they were previously being fed and I even have my tank set at the same temp they were at. Should I be worried or is this normal? If so how long before they start eating?
Thanks

Rudustin
10-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Hello Darkseas and welcome to SD. The behavior you have posted is normal for discus that have been moved from their tank to a new environment. Especially adults. Juveniles seem to more easily acclimate to new surroundings. I have had newly arrived adult discus not eat for a month. Adult Discus can go for quite a long period without eating providing they have good clean water and the right temperature. When they get hungry they will eat. Not to worry. If they are as big as you say they are either sub adults or adults so this is the norm. Take care and if there are any problems you can always find someone that will help you here on SD. Rufus

musicmarn1
10-29-2014, 10:39 PM
welcome to SD!

Discus will be upset typically after a change in environment depending on several factors. light, water quality, differences in water comapred to their old home, shipping technique, or if you picked them up travel time, lights typically off for two or more days but often if the QT procedure is good enough and the travel is smooth they will eat pretty soon.

so i would look at your water differences to where they were, your tank set up compared to previous home, are you aging water can you do a water change with clean aged water and leave lights off again tomorrow? how much traffic compared to old home and the QT procedures your supplier ensured to make sure they are healthy.

If it is from a sponsor here, I have bought from several, they are ALL top notch on their QT and water quality so i would ask supplier why they might be not eating.

Its often advised by any person i buy from here, their words not mine ;) to feed two or three days later to let them become acclimated, however you would WANT them to be asking for food pretty quickly, i know its a happier process for me if they ask for food quickly.

There are so many people here with so much more experience than me i just wanted to give you advice that would not hurt, so ask supplier what he or she thinks and think about your water quality. I am sure the experts here will chime in soon!

Bill63SG
10-29-2014, 10:41 PM
Hello Darkseas and welcome to SD. The behavior you have posted is normal for discus that have been moved from their tank to a new environment. Especially adults. Juveniles seem to more easily acclimate to new surroundings. I have had newly arrived adult discus not eat for a month. Adult Discus can go for quite a long period without eating providing they have good clean water and the right temperature. When they get hungry they will eat. Not to worry. If they are as big as you say they are either sub adults or adults so this is the norm. Take care and if there are any problems you can always find someone that will help you here on SD. Rufus

What he said.Keep up with the water changes,and did the seller give you flake he was using,or tell you the brand?Are you using what they were fed.I have had adults go weeks before they decide to eat.

DarkSeas
10-29-2014, 10:47 PM
What he said.Keep up with the water changes,and did the seller give you flake he was using,or tell you the brand?Are you using what they were fed.I have had adults go weeks before they decide to eat.

The food that I am feeding them is the same exact food they were previously being fed. The seller gave me the bag of food that he was feeding them.

Rudustin
10-29-2014, 11:09 PM
The food that I am feeding them is the same exact food they were previously being fed. The seller gave me the bag of food that he was feeding them.DarkSeas, The advice that you have received from the previous posts are right on. Wait for a couple of days and check your water parameters as well to estimate the same water quality and check with the seller to make sure that you have provided as near an environment as their origins. As I said, when discus are hungry they will eat. When they do eat you will then think they eat too much! LOL! Best regards. Rufus

Bill63SG
10-30-2014, 06:46 AM
The food that I am feeding them is the same exact food they were previously being fed. The seller gave me the bag of food that he was feeding them.

Then the waiting game begins.Also,its more then likely he was feeding more then one type of food,I feed flake but also Als blackworms,serea granules and beefheart.You could aske what else they were fed.

amityadav
01-11-2015, 03:54 PM
new discus take some time to adjust in their new surrounds. if your water parameters are in good shape, they will eventually eat. good luck.