PDA

View Full Version : Beginner w Discus - converting a reef tank

flynmnky
10-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Okay, so I have a 75 g reef tank under the steps of my house. I'd like to convert t to FW and am contemplating a discus tank. It has a 55 gallon sump and am thinking about plumbing for continuous water changes.

Are there any problems associated with using a tank previously used for reefing?

discuspaul
10-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Hello again, I would have answered this question as well if you had included it in your other thread. LOL

Not a problem at all if you've cleaned it up well to properly prepare it for a new FW set-up.

musicmarn1
10-30-2014, 03:18 PM
I agree with Paul here, I have two tanks previously used for reefs, the biggest problem (after i scraped all the salt encrusted yuck off everything) was scratches on the glass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-L0zvGWfY

this helped a tonne!

flynmnky
10-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Ha! Sorry about the double posting. :-) still figuring this forum out. Probably should start one tank set up thread so it's all together. Luckily I have very little scratching - I was super paranoid about it. But what I do have is calcium deposits on the black plastic weir, which I don't think I can get off. But also am thinking a little calcium buffer probably won't hurt a thing.... Maybe?

discuspaul
10-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Ha! Sorry about the double posting. :-) still figuring this forum out. Probably should start one tank set up thread so it's all together. Luckily I have very little scratching - I was super paranoid about it. But what I do have is calcium deposits on the black plastic weir, which I don't think I can get off. But also am thinking a little calcium buffer probably won't hurt a thing.... Maybe?

Yes, you're quite right - forum protocol calls for just one thread on the same subject - however you're excused, since your 2 questions were dissimilar - on separate topics.

However, I can't answer your question about removing calcium deposits, but someone with that kind of experience will hopefully chime in.

flynmnky
10-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Vinegar will usually remove them, but these have been there a long time. They are essentially CaCO3, so I'm guessing should be alright.

tvoydan
11-04-2014, 10:38 AM
I cleaned an old 55ga frag tank I used in reefing. Lot's of calcium and coraline algae growth on it. I filled tank with water and added 2 gallons of vinegar from Costo (under $10). Put 2 power heads in there to keep water moving around and let it sit all day. I was surprised on how easy the calcium and corline came off.

Rinsed the tank twice with fresh water and it looked like new.

Tom