PDA

View Full Version : Netting and handling

torch
10-30-2014, 03:32 PM
How to handle discus out of water if necessary? By hand and if so how would you hold it since they are flat and round? What is a good Net size to buy? I used to Ranchus which are fancy goldfish and I would use my hand to catch and take them out of the water. They were easy hold.

Or use big water holder to take them out of the tank?

sdrexler078
10-30-2014, 04:45 PM
You can use your hand or net. I use the biggest net I could find for my bigger ones and a medium net for the juvies. But you can look at the sponsers sections they have pictures of how to hold them.

sdrexler078
10-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Basically just lay their side on your palm and cup your fingers around them or use both hand to make sure it doesn't flop off

musicmarn1
10-30-2014, 07:36 PM
i really hate the net, mine always have scales missing after, so i use a large round or square opaque tupperware, i learned this from Strawberryblonde who i miss here! and i let them get used to it in the water then scoop em up :o works brilliantly for me

i cover the top with my hand my discus are super fiesty and i see experts like Hans pick them up in his hands but mine act like lemmings and suicide dive all over the show! i have teeny tiny woman hands so maybe that is why

rickztahone
10-30-2014, 09:37 PM
I do the same as Marnie. I have a clear lemonade tupperware that I simply scoop the discus in to. Once out of the water, I put my hand to stop the discus flying out, and I drain the water and this makes them stay still. I use to get them with my hand all the time, but it is just easier with the tupperware because it is clear, and I assume it is harder for them to see it coming. The least amount of stress to move, I have experienced.