PDA

View Full Version : blue diamond and red turquoise pairing off

croco_lyle
10-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Hi all. Im new to the forum and Discus breeding in general. Ive been avidly keeping my 55 gal housing misc. plants, Blue German rams x 6, Lemon Tetra x 16, Plecto, Red Turquoise, Blue Turquoise, Blue Diamond, and Cobalt Discus for about 2 years now careful to do same temp water changes in order not to encourage friskiness of the tank. Been leaning towards settling down and giving the discus breeding my all. Ive bred cichlids in the past with great success but dealing with discus as you all know is a totally different game. I just joined the forum today and i cant believe the amount of information ive taken in. all of it has been helpful ten fold. Long story short i started doing cold water changes a few days ago and i immediately noticed alot of activity. my red turquoise and blue diamond have paired off. is there much success in these two truly hitting it off and going the distance? just a newbie asking for general info. i apologize if this thread was categorized incorrectly. thanks.

ericNH
10-31-2014, 06:53 PM
I'd love to see pics. I bet your tank is gorgeous. Can't help with any of your querstions though, sorry. I just don't know enough.

Keith Perkins
10-31-2014, 07:22 PM
They definitely could become a pair. If I remember correctly the pairing would produce turks.

croco_lyle
10-31-2014, 07:33 PM
so blue turks?

croco_lyle
10-31-2014, 07:35 PM
by the way. where can i find a guide of sorts for what morphs make what?

tiSherman
10-31-2014, 08:12 PM
no ... the fry will get eaten by other fish in the tank

croco_lyle
11-01-2014, 05:58 AM
im not new to breeding. just discus. ive gotten pretty familiar with reading my tanks.

croco_lyle
11-01-2014, 06:00 AM
ive got a screen tank separator. or i might just separate the tank mates. thanks. but if anyone can provide me with source info on cross breeding that would be greatly appreciated. i.e. blue diamond x red turquoise = blue turk

tiSherman
11-01-2014, 06:26 AM
Blue turq, blue cobalt ...

croco_lyle
11-01-2014, 12:23 PM
yes i understand what will come of those two cross breeding but i am asking for a possible list of what come from crossbreeding any and or all recorded discus...is there something out there like that?

musicmarn1
11-01-2014, 03:54 PM
i wish......lol but we do have a few things http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?36-Breeding-Discus

XAnhLe
11-01-2014, 09:08 PM
From what I have read in the breeding section, any sort of discus breeding will depend on the parents genotypes. It's not unique to cross breeding, you can breed two red turks and end up with different kind of discus depends on the parent's genotype.

Some traits are dominants and some are recessives. Some phenotypes are controlled by many genes.

If you want information on any specific cross, you can try to search the breeding section. If you can't find a specific cross that you are looking for, then post a thread and ask. For your BDxRT cross, I think Sherman has already answered that for you, assuming the parents don't carry other genotypes.

Larry Bugg
11-01-2014, 09:26 PM
There aren't many sources available that list crosses and how they are achieved. In most cases the breeder that develops a new breed doesn't want us to know how it came about. It means less income for them if we all know how to make the crosses. You can find some threads on different discus forums that give details for specific strains. This is a good example of that.............http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?64729-quot-Discus-Genetics-and-Breeding-Info-and-Discussion-quot

The best book that I know of that gives some details is Penang discus by Shaifullah Yeng. Good luck finding a copy though. I bought mine from a fish store in Australia and had them ship it to me here in the states.

http://dah.discus.info/penang_discus/index.htm

John_Nicholson
11-02-2014, 08:54 AM
You will get turqs but genetically they will be mutts. When you cross the fry back nin future generations they will throw a wide range of fish. While it is not a bad cross I do suggest that if you really want to raise discus that you need to buy some more so that you can pair them up with their own color strains.

-john

brewmaster15
11-02-2014, 08:59 AM
With Crosses like these its not what the fish physically looks like that determines the outcome, its what the fish is carrying Genetically. Those red turqs you have , for instance, may be the result of crosses themselves...so when you cross again, you might get any number of things.

hth,
al