PDA

View Full Version : Peppering and background colors

torch
11-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Does black background affects peppering? Are all strains affected by peppering and lines? It looks like the solid color strains has no peppering like Blue diamonds and albano all pigeons do?

Asking because I am about to start my first discus tank and choice of clear, cobalt blue and black colors are options when buying my tank.

I will keep it barebottom. The tank bottom will be black (my stand is black) unless I leave the light color paper wrapping at the bottom, hence it' be light color.

The strains that will in the tank are Albino Red Spotted Green, checkboard pigeon, Checkerboard Turg, cobalt blue, Golden diamond (yellow), Red Eagle.

With these strains should be even concern with peppering?

Wes
11-04-2014, 11:51 PM
pigeon based discus can pepper.

Larry Bugg
11-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Are you saying the bottom of the tank will be black because your stand is black?? Along with painting the back, we also paint the bottoms. Some will tell you that they believe the color of the bottom is even more important than the back when it comes to peppering. While only pigeon based (Checkerboard pigeon/Red Eagle) will pepper the color on a lot of discus will darken with a darker background.

lksdrinker
11-25-2014, 05:57 PM
Are you saying the bottom of the tank will be black because your stand is black?? Along with painting the back, we also paint the bottoms. Some will tell you that they believe the color of the bottom is even more important than the back when it comes to peppering. While only pigeon based (Checkerboard pigeon/Red Eagle) will pepper the color on a lot of discus will darken with a darker background.

This is what I've been told as well. Only the pigeon based will show peppering and apparently the dark substrate is more of a contributor than the dark background. I've got nothing to back this up with yet though!

jsullins
11-25-2014, 07:01 PM
A lighter color would be best if you are worried about peppering.

Dubiadiscus
12-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but not only does the color of the background affect the fish, I think the light intensity has an affect too.

I have a light blue background with a light brown, with a little black substrate mixed in for live plants in my tank along with a T-5 HO light that I have a 10,000k light with a Colormax build. I will be change my build to a 5,500 or 6,500k build instead of the 10,000k and colormax. I did move the fixture more towards the middle of the tank and the colors seem to change on the discus from a darker color to a more lighter color with less peppering.