PDA

View Full Version : Heater(s)

Gunn
11-05-2014, 11:17 PM
75 gallon tank, should I run 2 heaters or 1? What wattage? I was told 2x150w. Thanx!

treylcham
11-05-2014, 11:25 PM
2 150w should work. Idk what brand u are getting but I would suggest u get cobalt neo heaters. No glass and it has a safty to make sure it doesnt over heat and kill your fish.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

kris2341
11-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Actually, not being glass could be an even worse problem in the very rare case that a neo therm blows up...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2376715

nasty stuff, though the failure is rare, I wouldnt touch one of those new fangled heaters unless someone gave it to me...

Jagers and controllers for my tanks!

Or if I am broke, Aquatops and controllers...

Altum Nut
11-06-2014, 12:39 AM
2 x 150 will do in the event that one fails.
Here are some suggestions
- Eheim Jager Heaters
- Fluval Series E Heaters
- Azoo Titanium Heaters comes with controller

...Ralph

kris2341
11-06-2014, 12:51 AM
Just my personal opinion, but I would NEVER touch any electronic heater where the digital temperature controller is built into the main body tube of the heater....

Heat and condensation are the enemies of electronics, and you get a heavy dose of that right in the tube....

Theres even a member here that lost his cherished discus very recently due to a Fluval E sticking on

Jagers I believe use simple bimetal thermostats, this means that they rely on no complex controllers to run. As a side effect, they can generally function reliably even in the case that they have some condensation in them, a lot of jagers ive had eventually built up some if submerged very deep but still functioned well. Though once I see that, I retire them. Thankfully, I have NEVER had a Jager stick on and that is what matters to me.

Not willing to wait for the day my trusty Jagers stick, I plan to use Ranco controllers on everything I can afford them on to add redundancy. $50 a controller and will require a bit of wiring, but compared to the value of discus, that is not much.

nc0gnet0
11-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Actually, not being glass could be an even worse problem in the very rare case that a neo therm blows up...

All titanium heaters have rubber ends, if they "blow up" the ends pop off, much like a cork does when you shake a bottle of champagne.

kris2341
11-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Does it have a load of epoxy inside that melts and smokes and can get everywhere if it explodes? Since apparently in the rare chances a neotherm melts through the plastic and blows up, it starts leaking crap everywhere in the system.

If not, then even the titanium heaters have an advantage over plastic neotherms