PDA

View Full Version : How much water should I change in a bare bottom 150 gallon tank?

robinsnestmh2
11-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Hello: Still learning, but wanted to know if a 10% water change daily is good for my 150 gallon, bare bottom tank that has 13 3" to 4.5" discus consisting of PE, Red Turqs, and Leopards. I have a sponge filter in the center of tank designated for a 125 gallon, an air stone, and a canister filtration with 9UV too. Is the 10% daily enough? They seem to be doing GREAT but I want them to have the best, ensuring proper growth, etc. Hope to get a response from the people here who have years of knowledge and success. Thank you so much.

Altum Nut
11-11-2014, 08:25 PM
I don't have as many years as some but from what I have leaned which has paid off for me is that would not be sufficient in growing out those discus to their full potential. Secondly...we have no history as to the age of those discus whether they will even grow-out further. Did you get them from a LFS or a sponsor from SD.
I would recommend 50% at the very least and less so when they are adults.

...Ralph

jsullins
11-13-2014, 11:48 AM
If they are juvies and still growing you will need to up the water changes (frequency & amount) 50% at least three times a week and they might not be enough IMO.

musicmarn1
11-13-2014, 12:32 PM
I have to admit, hands in the air i have 135 (120 with 10g sump) i only change 30% 3 or 4 times a week, they are still growing and they are spawning. Would ideally do more but I just cant right now and this is 6 months at this rate

mikediscus
11-13-2014, 10:12 PM
If you are trying to grow out your 3" to 4.5" discus then you got to increase your water change. I grow out my 3" to 4.5" discus in a 75 gallon BB with couple sponge filters. I change water twice a day at 75% each time.