PDA

View Full Version : Sick Fishes and suggestion please.!!!!

Allwin
11-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
Tried to move some of my growouts from 40G to 55G with other few fishes(grow out as well, same batch also) on 11/09 . Since they didn't liked the new tank and tried to find a corner. I moved them to their original 40G on 11/10.

All of them slow moving and kindof floating, noticed some slime on their bodies.And all other tanks and other fishes in are fine at the moments, no such signs.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Slime, not eating,headstanding or tailstanding

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
Just did a 100% WC

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

7fishes,5inchers - 40G.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
I do 90% WC everyday.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
1.5years

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
yes,24-48hrs. No PH swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____82 (Now increased to 85)

- ph _____7.6 approx

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____been a while, but cycled sponge filter(get squeezed once in 3 weeks) and BB

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____yes

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
got a new fish, still in QT. Seperate hose and separate equipment.(positive as per my knowledge)

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

11. Medicine in Hand

Prazipro/Pimafix/Melafix/furan2

yim11
11-11-2014, 09:35 PM
how do the fish act immediately after wc? perk up? same as before wc? huddle in corner?

sounds like you got the bases covered pretty well, is the tank bb? you wont be needing any of the water additives (they arent meds lol) that end with "fix". ;)

Allwin
11-11-2014, 09:44 PM
They are slow before/after WC. Just thought of giving some WC to start with. All are in BB tanks. what do u mean "they aren't meds?"

how do the fish act immediately after wc? perk up? same as before wc? huddle in corner?

sounds like you got the bases covered pretty well, is the tank bb? you wont be needing any of the water additives (they arent meds lol) that end with "fix". ;)

Allwin
11-11-2014, 09:45 PM
I thought of treating with Furan2 to start with. Any comments?

nc0gnet0
11-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Am I reading that right......7 five inch fish in a 40 gallon tank?

melafix and pimafix belong in the trash, not in the tank.........

Pics might help

yim11
11-11-2014, 09:55 PM
personally i'm hesitant to treat until i rule out water completely and have some idea what i'm shooting at.

i say not meds/ricks says trash cuz those 2 products are akin to herbal remedies for us - while some might think they work/have value the evidence isn't always there to support it vs true lab based medications.

any chance you can take water readings just to be sure no mini cycle here or anything off?

Allwin
11-11-2014, 10:02 PM
http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y385/allwinrajeshpaul/IMG_07541_zps96f5ad22.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y385/allwinrajeshpaul/IMG_07551_zps5cc8b0f5.jpg

Some pictures..

Allwin
11-11-2014, 10:03 PM
I have two sponge filters and water is pretty clean to rule out the mini cycle.. Just took one out and added a air stone.

personally i'm hesitant to treat until i rule out water completely and have some idea what i'm shooting at.

i say not meds/ricks says trash cuz those 2 products are akin to herbal remedies for us - while some might think they work/have value the evidence isn't always there to support it vs true lab based medications.

any chance you can take water readings just to be sure no mini cycle here or anything off?

nc0gnet0
11-11-2014, 10:05 PM
So, you mixed the five fishes with some other fish from your fish room, but these new fish (to the original 5) were all old time residents(of your fish room)?

This sounds like what someone might expect when adding new stock without Qt, but that does not seem to be the issue here?

Was the background/bottom of the new tank, lighting, etc, drastically different then the old one? Any chance the new tank wasn't properly disinfected?

If your convinced this is not a WQ/contaminate issue, I might opt for a PP treatment followed by some low light/stress reduction. Acriflavin might be another option.

Allwin
11-11-2014, 10:12 PM
So, you mixed the five fishes with some other fish from your fish room, but these new fish (to the original 5) were all old time residents(of your fish room)? Yes

This sounds like what someone might expect when adding new stock without Qt, but that does not seem to be the issue here? I felt so, since they are breed by me.

Was the background/bottom of the new tank, lighting, etc, drastically different then the old one? Any chance the new tank wasn't properly disinfected? no lighting in any of the tanks, means i rarely switch on the light. I dont have PP at the moment, how abt Furan? else where i can PP quick???

If your convinced this is not a WQ/contaminate issuePositive, I might opt for a PP treatment followed by some low light/stress reduction. Acriflavin might be another option.

nc0gnet0
11-12-2014, 12:57 AM
Why is the water level so low in the tank?

nc0gnet0
11-12-2014, 01:01 AM
Also, it's hard to tell from the pic alone but it looks like you can cut back a bit on the air volume, after saturation all your doing is creating a lot of current which is adding stress to the fish.

nc0gnet0
11-12-2014, 01:07 AM
Tried to move some of my growouts from 40G to 55G with other few fishes(grow out as well, same batch also) on 11/09 . Since they didn't liked the new tank and tried to find a corner. I moved them to their original 40G on 11/10.

All of them slow moving and kind of floating, noticed some slime on their bodies.And all other tanks and other fishes in are fine at the moments, no such signs.

So, two batches of fish, both growouts from the same batch of fry but have been being raised in separate tanks. Both batches now showing symptoms.

No other fish other than these tow batches from the same spawn?

What was in the 55 gallon prior to the transfer?

This is really starting to sound more and more like a contaminate issue, typically only one of the two batches would show symptoms, unless the 55 was not properly sanitized or another stray fish is in the mix as well.

I think we might be missing a piece of the puzzle here, think hard of what you might be forgetting?

How is their breathing? Are you absolutely sure that you did not get a nitrite spike? Have you tested?

I think I am going to withdraw my recommendation to attempt a PP treatment, if anything other than clean water, I would opt for meth blue at the moment.

CliffsDiscus
11-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Looks like a very light case of a break down of the immunity system due to the moving(stress). Try adding 6 drops of acriflavine right over where the Discus are all gather
this should break up the gathering in about 10 to 15 minutes. Usually the Discus will come out of this in a week.

Cliff

brewmaster15
11-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Allwin,
Hows the fish?

-al