PDA

View Full Version : Shy discus

Stu1978
11-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Just bought 3 discus for my tank want to turn it in to a mainly discus tank planning on getting more if I can keep these. My water temp is 30 ph is 7 other water conditions good not live planted tank but lots of cover for them lots of oxygen going in tank. Can't get 2 out feeding one feeds very well I'm worried want to keep these so badly. I'm feeding blood worm packs provided and got flake for variety. Please give advice.

brewmaster15
11-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Hi Stuart,
Lets start with some pics of the tank and some more details on its set up and inhabitants. How many discus are there and what other fish? How old are the fish? You may want to try some other foods, what kind of blood worms are you feeding?

-al

ps..I changed your account status so you should be able to post pics..

Stu1978
11-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Thanks for reply

I've got 7 tetras , guppie 2 cherrie barbs 3wip tail cat fish 2 golden nuggets 9 Molly babies which I'm giving away when bigger

brewmaster15
11-15-2014, 08:36 AM
For starters, 3 is not a good number for discus, how big are these guys? Pics would really help. The community set you have going is also probably contributing to the shyness of the discus... they generally do not like alot of commotion especially when they are few in numbers.

What size is the tank? and does it have substrate.
-al

brewmaster15
11-15-2014, 08:38 AM
I'd really recommend reading this...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus
and taking a look at the threads in the beginners board..

Going to move this there for better help.

-al

Ryan
11-15-2014, 08:41 AM
I would like to add that this is not an uncommon occurrence with newly acquired discus, especially if they are small. Introducing them into a new tank will be a bit stressful and they are often shy until they get comfortable with their new surroundings. Considering that discus do seem to find safety in numbers, having only three in a tank will contribute to the shyness. Even buying a group of 6 or 8, the fish will often be shy until they settle down.

I agree with Al about the numbers. Three is usually a recipe for disaster. I would do 4 at an absolute minimum, but 6 would be a better starting point. Tank size and maintenance schedule will influence how many you can have, of course.

Stu1978
11-15-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm planning on more but very expensive I want 8 in total and planning on 5 in the next few weeks the tank is 200 litres square

Stu1978
11-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Small pea gravel on bottom and doing 2 20% water changes per week

The discus are 2.5 inch

Altum Nut
11-15-2014, 11:02 AM
2.5" Discus if bought from a reputable breeder or a simply sponsor are not expensive and suspect your buying from a LFS which is why they are $$$$$
I will like to add that your tank is not large enough for 8 Discus. Yes...at 2.5" they can be a temporary home for a month or so but the recommendation from sub-adults on is mainly 10g per Discus. Secondly you will need to change more water then your doing everyday at least 50% if you want your Discus to have any chance of reaching their potential size. Any type of substrate will hold un-eaten foods and will spoil your water fast and Discus will suffer so bare-bottom is suggested. The diet will have to change as well...and should be offered high protein foods.
Sorry for going on but I think you should think this one out carefully and read the useful information provided in the beginner's section or those expensive Discus will be more expensive to replace in the end.

...Ralph

Rudustin
11-15-2014, 11:42 AM
2.5" Discus if bought from a reputable breeder or a simply sponsor are not expensive and suspect your buying from a LFS which is why they are $$$$$
I will like to add that your tank is not large enough for 8 Discus. Yes...at 2.5" they can be a temporary home for a month or so but the recommendation from sub-adults on is mainly 10g per Discus. Secondly you will need to change more water then your doing everyday at least 50% if you want your Discus to have any chance of reaching their potential size. Any type of substrate will hold un-eaten foods and will spoil your water fast and Discus will suffer so bare-bottom is suggested. The diet will have to change as well...and should be offered high protein foods.
Sorry for going on but I think you should think this one out carefully and read the useful information provided in the beginner's section or those expensive Discus will be more expensive to replace in the end.

...Ralph I cannot agree more with Ralph. He is spot on with the advice he has given you and Discus in the beginning are best in groups of five or more and suggested bare bottom with the fifty percent water change per day is a minimum requirement. A caution also is to be noted. Quarantine procedures are extremely important in introducing new discus to any established tank with fish already in the aquarium. Discus when very young require much more care than adults. As Ralph suggested you would be better off by researching the beginners section of SD for prescribed keeping of discus. Good luck and I hope you will report back to us of your success in keeping these young discus. Rufus

Stu1978
11-15-2014, 03:02 PM
I've been very worried all day only seeing one out but for the last 2 hours all 3 swimming around really good I'm so happy to see this. Thanks for your advice I will keep reading and taking all of your advise on board and work hard to keep a discus tank and report my results.

bluelagoon
11-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Sometimes great advice just goes in one ear and out the other,without stopping somewhere in between.So I take it that you've already done a 50% WC today and prepared to do one again tomorrow and so on.Also,all the other tank mates have to go.They might be happy for now,but won't be if things don't change;the sooner the better.