PDA

View Full Version : Eggs And Fry

J.M Discus
11-15-2014, 10:40 PM
:(:confused: well everything seemed to be going smoothly until, at night my discus pair layer eggs while having fry. Im not sure how often Discus do this, but I can tell it not a good thing. My question is what should i do now that the pair has eggs and have 4 day fry?

musicmarn1
11-15-2014, 10:44 PM
how inexperienced are the parents? would it be a horrible loss if the parents ate the fry now?

J.M Discus
11-15-2014, 10:52 PM
The pair has laid eggs about 5 times and had wigglers about 3/5, but on my behalf they always got eaten because I kept the lights off at night. I guess it would be a horrible loss, it seems like they laid a few eggs on the top off the heater on the plastic part. I don't want to take the risk off getting less fry and back tracking. But I'm not sure if they will still raise the fry or raise they fry even if the remove the eggs.

musicmarn1
11-15-2014, 11:03 PM
interested to see what the breeders say, was just wondering how new the parents are and that makes total sense, that they are. You up for artificially rearing? my guess is they would eat the fry but as I said im waiting for the Godly breeders here like Rick or John who really know their stuff, just interesting and i know that would be a bummer when you want a batch of fry to raise out! how many wrigglers hatched this time?

J.M Discus
11-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Yea, its a bummer. But i am willing to artificially raise them,but i don't know what i would need to feed them. I think about 25 wriggler hatched out of maybe 50 eggs. But their a young pair, so i can expect that.

Larry Bugg
11-16-2014, 12:36 AM
It is not unusual at all for a new pair to have a spawn and then lay eggs again. It is not likely that they would raise both batches. Normally either the eggs/wigglers are eaten or the free swimmers are eaten. How many 4 day fry are there? Instinctively discus are looking for large batches because large batches are necessary in the wild.

J.M Discus
11-16-2014, 12:42 AM
It seems like there are more eggs than fry, about 50 eggs and 25 fry. But it seems the discus are still taking care of the fry and take turns in feeding them. They don't seem to put attention to the eggs.

Larry Bugg
11-16-2014, 12:55 AM
Are you saying there are 25 4 day old free swimmers and there are about 25 wigglers? With such a small number I would just let it play out and see what happens.

J.M Discus
11-16-2014, 01:00 AM
Are you saying there are 25 4 day old free swimmers and there are about 25 wigglers? With such a small number I would just let it play out and see what happens. Oh my bad, I'm still a rookie in breeding. I didn't mean to say wrigglers, I meant fry. So there are 25 fry and about 50 eggs (No wrigglers)

J.M Discus
11-16-2014, 01:02 AM
But i guess waiting it out is the only thing to do. Ill try to get the fry to start feeding on bbs and artificially raise the eggs.

Altum Nut
11-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Let them do what nature brings forth. With 25 fry...most often half will have to be culled for reasons of differential growth rate or other health related issues preventing further growth and will leave you with a number not worth raising.
Your unsure of the 50 or so eggs hatch-rate.
What is the saying parents know best.
Not sure if already mentioned on another thread but start by getting your TDS down to about 50ppm as it will increase the hatch-rate.

...Ralph

nc0gnet0
11-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Chances are they (the fry) have already been eaten. About the only thing you can do if you want to save the fry is remove the new eggs, and often even this wont work. With only 50 eggs and 25 fry attached I might be inclined to pull the eggs, however if the batch of eggs was bigger (150 or greater) then I would leave the eggs and try for a bigger batch.

-Rick