PDA

View Full Version : Pic of my 75G Planted Discus Tank

Whiskey
11-16-2014, 12:39 AM
Hello all!

I've had discus in this tank for a little over a year and just wanted to share a picture. The discus are just from an LFS, I would like to get some higher quality discus in the future, but I only want about 2 more, and the shipping costs make ordering 2 discus tough. Still though, the quality would be worth it.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7532/15560072607_35aaaf70a6_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pGZrtV)DiscusTankWeb (https://flic.kr/p/pGZrtV) by Wiskey2727 (https://www.flickr.com/people/94982813@N04/), on Flickr

Enjoy! You can click on the photo for a slightly larger version,

P.S. Never mind the white towel in the background - it was the best light colored background I could find on short notice.

Whiskey

Rudustin
11-16-2014, 12:42 AM
I admire a planted tank. Yours is beautiful. The discus are not the best quality but they seem happy enough and the plants and the driftwood are really exceptional. Thanks for sharing. Rufus

rickztahone
11-16-2014, 01:30 AM
Very nice planted tank. At first, I thought the background was textured paint, but now I do notice the towel now that you pointed it out, lol. TFS

zergling
11-16-2014, 03:36 AM
Very nice tank! That's some nice lush growth on the plants!

DianasDiscus
11-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Your Planted tank is very beautiful! I have much admiration for your skill.

allan
11-16-2014, 01:48 PM
great planted tank i like it a lot :)

Frankr409
11-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Can you please identify the plant that is colonizing the bottom?

Whiskey
11-17-2014, 01:24 PM
Thank you for the kind words all!!

Can you please identify the plant that is colonizing the bottom?
I usually call that one Repens - it's full name is Staurogyne Repens. Here is a link about it:
http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Staurogynerepens%28049GTC%29/4482

The nice thing about that plant is it's actually fairly low light for a ground cover type plant.

Thank you!
Whiskey

Whiskey
11-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Very nice planted tank. At first, I thought the background was textured paint, but now I do notice the towel now that you pointed it out, lol. TFS

Thank you!
You know,.. if it wasn't for the stripe on the end of the towel it would be a perfect background! But it has the stripe.

Whiskey

rickztahone
11-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Thank you!
You know,.. if it wasn't for the stripe on the end of the towel it would be a perfect background! But it has the stripe.

Whiskey

Yes, that is what eventually gave it away. You could simply paint the back with textured paint though. It is easy, and I have done it with livestock in the tank in the past. I would just advise to cover it very well during painting and having great ventilation.

Frankr409
11-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Beautiful! I purchased a very small amount for my project as well, with the same hopes, i.e. good ground cover in low light. It appears that yours was quite successful. One other quick question, how much did you initially plant, and what was the spread rate like?

Whiskey
11-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Beautiful! I purchased a very small amount for my project as well, with the same hopes, i.e. good ground cover in low light. It appears that yours was quite successful. One other quick question, how much did you initially plant, and what was the spread rate like?

I picked up 1 pot of it, maybe 8 little stems or so. The growth rate has allot to do with the light level I've found, with lower light it will tend to grow up, it will grow slow and the leaves that are shaded will even fall apart. As the light increases to a level that it can do well with it will lay down and start to spread. As the light goes up from this point it will grow faster and faster.

But! That is assuming you have plenty of C02 and ferts to support that growth.

I've found that the when planted it makes roots first and doesn't grow much for a little while, but once it has all it's roots layed down it will take off.

Whiskey

tacks
11-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Very nice Ed

Frankr409
11-17-2014, 04:25 PM
One pot got you all that! I bought 5 pots, and put them on one side. C02 goes in later this week, can't wait to see it spread!

jmf3460
11-17-2014, 07:54 PM
very nicely scaped planted tank, the fact that everything is off centered is great and appealing, your stauro carpet is outstanding and the crypts and lily make for a well placed color and texture contrast. the java on the clunky piece of wood is perfect and fills the water column nicely. ludwigia was a great choice on the left to contrast the long shape of the crypts and java with the round soft leaves of the ludwigia. very well done I can see nothing wrong with this tank other than it not being in my living room!!! :)

pinoy2
11-17-2014, 11:59 PM
wow, i envy you

Whiskey
11-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Thank you everyone! This tank is very much an evolving peice. I go back and forth between wanting the simplicity of a little lower light and easier plants, and wanting high light and bright reds. For now this tank is kind of a middle ground between the two. Lots of easy plants with a few tougher ones, and medium light.

I do have sad news,.. one of my discus suddenly died. It was one of the newer ones, but he was really active, ate like a pig, and was as healthy as you could imagine then he suddenly died. I do wonder if he may have spooked and hit some driftwood, but there was a large wound on his side that made me wonder if one of my algae eaters may have attacked him. I'm really bummed about this but I don't know what to do other than watch very closely.

Whiskey

pcsb23
11-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Not sure what algae eaters you have in there, but the shape of the wound should give a clue. Most plecs and such tend to develop a taste for the slime and the problem is that discus sleep at night when many/most cats don't! I don't keep any plecs of any type with discus (or my Altums) but I do keep Oto's, these are very small and so far I've yet to see one try and attach to a discus, though at the mo' I don't have any discus ;).

btw I think the 'scape is lovely :)

Whiskey
11-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Thank you Paul!

I did take some pictures before I took the dead discus out of the tank, I've been meaning to post them but I've been planning a wedding and out of town. Hopefully this weekend I will get them up.

I do have at least 3 bushy nose plecos in there,.. are they known to cause problems? How would I know?

Whiskey

jsullins
11-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Nice tank, sorry to hear about your discus hope things go better in the future.

yogendra101
12-11-2014, 07:18 AM
I would like to have similar one !!

pcsb23
12-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Thank you Paul!

I did take some pictures before I took the dead discus out of the tank, I've been meaning to post them but I've been planning a wedding and out of town. Hopefully this weekend I will get them up.

I do have at least 3 bushy nose plecos in there,.. are they known to cause problems? How would I know?

Whiskey
Many recommend BN's, I don't anymore as I've seen them attached. Sadly every type of plec I've tried have attached at some point. The wounds look circular, sometimes a broad scrape. What can happen is during the night a plec will try and attach and spook the discus which can scare the heck out of the fish and also cause it to crash into stuff as it shoots off, it also then spooks the rest of the fish.

Speculation of course if it was one of the BN's but either way I'm not a fan in discus tanks.

SortSay2003
12-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Hello all!

I've had discus in this tank for a little over a year and just wanted to share a picture. The discus are just from an LFS, I would like to get some higher quality discus in the future, but I only want about 2 more, and the shipping costs make ordering 2 discus tough. Still though, the quality would be worth it.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7532/15560072607_35aaaf70a6_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pGZrtV)DiscusTankWeb (https://flic.kr/p/pGZrtV) by Wiskey2727 (https://www.flickr.com/people/94982813@N04/), on Flickr

Enjoy! You can click on the photo for a slightly larger version,

P.S. Never mind the white towel in the background - it was the best light colored background I could find on short notice.

Whiskey

Hi Whiskey,

That is a GREAT tank. As Rufus had mentioned earlier, the discus looks healthy and happy. If you're looking to add a few more with quality, try to get a group of ppl to go in on an order with you. This will help spread shipping around so you guys can get more discus for your $$$$. Really beautiful tank. Thanks for sharing.

PS: If you hadn't pointed out the towel background, I wouldn't have noticed either. Maybe everyone would have been asking you; How did you get that awesome background?....lol

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!:)

SHARPAIN
12-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Awesome setup!!!

dghby
12-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Thank you Paul!

Whiskey
I can speak from experience on the BN pleco's. I had a BN in one of my Adult tanks and walked into the room one day (about 4 months ago or so) I found it attached to one of my Discus. I had read
about it but thought I would give it a try anyways. I had it in the tank for roughly 3 months before I noticed it. No Pleco of any kind in my tanks anymore.

mnfishkeeper
12-11-2014, 01:53 PM
really nice tank

kaujong
12-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Hi, do you have CO2 tank to supplement it?

OC Discus
12-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Looks like real drift wood, but clear water. Do the plants help remove the tannins or have you just done a large water change? Does it stay that clear?

RolnwitdaDISC
01-03-2015, 07:52 PM
I love this tank. And the discus are beautiful. The quality is great for what strain they are IMO, and from a LFS. I have the same thing, 6 from a LFS and will upgrade when I add more later. Great job!!!

sd86tlam
01-04-2015, 12:12 AM
I see that you have done an amazing job at keeping your tank lush green. I am especially in love with those bunches of java ferns attached to driftwood :)

I have a question for you. How do you disperse CO2 in your tank? Do you inject it directly into filter's outlet?

pavlos
01-05-2015, 02:50 PM
Your aquarium is really beautiful! You have done a very good job!! But, I am not sure that this decoration is good for your discus.. If food sinks down can they easily find it? Also what is the temperature? I wonder if its high for the plants and low for the discus.. :)
Paul

woodsprite
02-07-2015, 02:02 AM
That's a great looking tank .. love the aquascaping and the fish do look very happy in there .. Congrats!

DiscusDirect
02-07-2015, 03:19 AM
WoW! that's a beautiful tank.:)

ayobreezie
02-11-2015, 12:43 AM
So clear.. Love the scape.

Kritter420
02-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Seeing all these tanks is almost convincing me that I should go bigger and badder than the 55 I was planning. I just don't know where in my house I could fit anything bigger than that. Guess it's time to sell the house!

Reesj
02-25-2015, 08:10 AM
Amazing tank . What is the wattage and types of light you using man ?

DiscusRob
02-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Seeing all these tanks is almost convincing me that I should go bigger and badder than the 55 I was planning. I just don't know where in my house I could fit anything bigger than that. Guess it's time to sell the house!

if you are planning a standard 55, you could go up to a 75 or 90 all 3 are 48 inches long, the only difference is width and height and the width on the 75 or 90 is only 6 additional inches, otherwise, same foot print.

Twistofer
03-27-2015, 10:31 PM
Gorgeous! What is your filter system and substrate?