PDA

View Full Version : Metal Coffee filters - Artificial Rearing of Fry

stevegb
11-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Can anyone inform me if the below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PACK-Mr-Coffee-GTF2-Basket-Style-10-12-Cup-Gold-Tone-Permanent-Coffee-Filter-/331145936767?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item4d19d5ff7f

are good to be used as fry keepers when trying to raise discus artificially????

Not sure about the rise. These are 4.5 inches in diameter.

I thank you in advance

S

efrenvillegas
11-18-2014, 01:16 PM
i think they are ok

stevegb
11-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks.

was not sure as they say Gold Tone"!!!

I will give them a try.

S

seanyuki
11-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Perhaps this may work too......breeder net.

http://www.bigalspets.com/fish-net-breeder.html

ref0716
11-18-2014, 04:56 PM
I have used those same containers for years now. The can be cleaned in the dishwasher. I use an artificial raising system patterned after the one developed by Big Tuck on this forum. It is an old post, but check out what worked for him and for me.

Richard

seanyuki
11-18-2014, 05:13 PM
Artificial rearing made easy by Big Tuck....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?68507-Artificial-rearing-made-easy&highlight=

Hth

stevegb
11-26-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks Guys,

I have ordered them and waiting :)

Yes i constructed something similar with a pump and drip irrigation pipes coming from above into the baskets.

Can you kindly advise how much flow should come from the pipe on top of the baskets?

Also will i be able to feed the fry brine shrimp whilst they are in the coffee baskets?

thanks for ur help!

SGB

ref0716
11-26-2014, 10:45 AM
In my experience with artificial raising using the coffee filters, you want a flow anywhere between a rapid drip to a weak steady stream. The water in the filter needs to be moving, but not so fast that the fry are overwhelmed. Best to start slow and increase as the fry become bigger and stronger.
Yes, add BBS to the filter basket. Three or four feedings a day will work. The whole idea is that you can feed heavily, almost so that the fry can not avoid bumping into and eating so many BBS in a very small space. The BBS will live for several hours. Any that remains uneaten will decompose and be removed from the coffee filter. Because there is a large quantity of water in the system, fouling is not an issue. Somewhere around 7-10 days, the fry can be moved to a 5 gallon filtered tank for initial rearing.
The above has worked for me for years now. Good luck. HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

Richard

stevegb
11-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks Richard much appreciated!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING you too!!

stevegb
11-28-2014, 04:16 AM
Hi Richard, I have one more question. Hope u don't mind :)

I am currently using a white net to keep the fry, as the coffee filters have not yet arrived. Fry are eating from the air stone and all seems well (day 3 of being free swimming)! Not sure when I will start the brine shrimp!

My question is this; Due to the fact that the coffee filters are black (as per link i had attached)...will the fry still get attracted (and eat) to the blue air stone hanging in the basket or ???

thanks a lot,

SGB

ref0716
11-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Steve - I don't understand. The frame of the coffee filters is black, but the mesh is "goldtone" and will work just fine. I really don't understand about eating from the air stone. What are they eating? I start feeding BBS day one of free swimming, sometimes day two, but not later than that. You can PM me if you prefer. Take care.
Richard

stevegb
11-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks Richard,

On now I understand!! The method i am using is that of putting a paste (made out of egg yolks & spirulina), on the air stone and lowering it in the water. The fry's nibble this paste on the air stone. The air stone also attracts the fry it being dark like the parents body. After a few days only I plan on giving them BBS. It might be the case that the BBS you have in america is smaller than the one we get in Europe.