PDA

View Full Version : moving from live to pellets

runninlow
11-19-2014, 10:30 AM
So after thinking long and hard ive finally decided i will be switching over to pellets and freeze drieds. does anyone have any suggestion on how i can go about this without injurying the discus or causing them to starve too long.
my initial plan is to starve them for about 2 to 3 days. My only concern about doing this is that some of my discus is shy and wait till i leave the room or 5 to 10 minutes after i step away from the tank and watch them. with live food they will go and pick at them once they float over to the area they are at and then go eat.

any suggestion would be great and i apologize if i posted on the wrong area.

thanks!!

DISCUS STU
11-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Can you give specifics of your tank setup? Are these adults or juveniles? There's no one perfect way to transition them but you can try mixing in the new food with the old food and gradually reducing the amount of live food. I don't know if fasting them for 2 days is necessary but it may help. If they've been spoiled by only eating live worms it may take a while.

Another way to do it is by using a feeding cone and mixing both foods and gradually tapering off with the live. This way they have to taste and get used to the new food while their eating the old food.

runninlow
11-19-2014, 11:54 AM
sorry, 220 gallon BB tank, driftwood in the middle (attach is a photo). Yes they have been very spoiled, all discus is 4 plus inches.
i have tried in the past giving them pellets, only some took to it but the rest that has grown up in the tank has had nothing but black worms and didnt even look at the pellets.
i wil have to get a feeding cone and see if i can try what you mention.
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y412/yangj04/20141109_091755_zpsfvcwe6hl.jpg (http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/yangj04/media/20141109_091755_zpsfvcwe6hl.jpg.html)

Len
11-19-2014, 12:02 PM
I think it depends on what kind of pellets you use. I've tried NLS Discus pellets several times and other than very young juvies, none of my discus ever bothered with them. I've had very good results using the pellets Forrest is selling though right through all stages and sizes. There may be others, this is just the one i've had success with.

runninlow
11-19-2014, 12:11 PM
yes right now i have discus forest pellets that is why i am considering on switching over. its much easier on the pocket and less maintence.

aovifo
11-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Sometimes it helps to squeeze by fingers some garlic and than squeeze the pellets so it gets the smell. Row ginger also works. They attracted to strong smell.

DISCUS STU
11-19-2014, 05:24 PM
sorry, 220 gallon BB tank, driftwood in the middle (attach is a photo). Yes they have been very spoiled, all discus is 4 plus inches.
i have tried in the past giving them pellets, only some took to it but the rest that has grown up in the tank has had nothing but black worms and didnt even look at the pellets.
i wil have to get a feeding cone and see if i can try what you mention.

Usually once one or some of them start to eat a new food the others catch on in short order. Give it some time. BTW-Nice tank!

Platylover
11-22-2014, 11:21 AM
I transitioned my discus to tetra bits and the occasional frozen blackworms from beefheart mix when they were no longer juveniles. This really helped with reducing the need to do daily water changes. I didn't starve them. I just started adding tetrabits in addition to what they already ate and then over a couple weeks, adjusted ratio until they were 100% tetra bits.

OC Discus
11-22-2014, 01:35 PM
How long do you leave the pellets in the water? If you feed some in the morning you might find they are gone by lunch. Pellets are hard and have to soften before they can swallow them. Mine are most hungry in morning. I would put in a small amount one day and see if they are gone when you get home. It can take 30-60 minutes to finish a good pellet feeding even when they are used to them. The pellets I use are safe to leave in the water because they sink to the bottom and don't get pulled into the filters. Omega and Cobalt work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill63SG
11-22-2014, 03:17 PM
My fish would never eat pellets,then about 3 years ago we had a helluva snow storm.Couldnt get out for live food,and when I could,live food wasn't being delivered.All I had was pellets and geuss what,they now all eat pellets.Takes time and you cant give in.