PDA

View Full Version : First temp controller

OC Discus
11-20-2014, 10:18 AM
I just received my first temp controller from foster and smith for about $25. Plan to set it on 84 with heater on 82. I've had multiple heater malfunctions but no dead fish. One stuck on the way up and reached almost 100. Another failed allowing temp to drop to 70.

Does anyone have experience with the budget models? Just one 300 watt heater attached. $25 seems like a small price to pay to prevent such a common problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nc0gnet0
11-20-2014, 10:59 AM
I think you kinda got it backwards, you should set the controller at the desired temp and the heater a degree or two above, let the controller to the monitoring, they are more accurate.

OC Discus
11-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

kris2341
11-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Just so you know, a controller does offer protection from heater sticking, preventing overheating to a tank.

but it doesn't offer protection from heater failure where it stops producing heat. In this situation, two 150w heaters would provide some heat in the event one fails vs one single 300w heater completely failing.

Of course, having a controller is better than having no controller at all!

OC Discus
11-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Good point. I'm not sure a 150 would hold my temp in a 55 g. 2 300s on a controller would provide protection both ways. Ps. Have one and only need to buy one more.

jsullins
11-20-2014, 05:03 PM
dont get the finnex i got one of those froms kens not impressed as the temp gauge/monitor is way off about 5-6 degrees to be exact which i had to compensate for but most of them will have a fail safe for the heater failing as well not just sticking. they have a high and low temp alarm that you can set, so if the temp falls below a certain point the alarm will sound.

OC Discus
11-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the warning.

dont get the finnex i got one of those froms kens not impressed as the temp gauge/monitor is way off about 5-6 degrees to be exact which i had to compensate for but most of them will have a fail safe for the heater failing as well not just sticking. they have a high and low temp alarm that you can set, so if the temp falls below a certain point the alarm will sound.

wild4discus
11-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Budget controllers are a waste of money IMO. I bought several and all were off by at least 4 degrees. The Finnex controllers really suck bad. The one I received from Ken's was off by more than 5 degrees, had sticky buttons, and the customer service from FInnex was the absolute worst that I have dealt with. Skimping on important items like heating, filtration, and lighting are not worth it. I ended up spending almost $100 on the Ranco ETCI-1R and could not be any happier. It's very accurate and the build quality is excellent.

manbearpig
11-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Budget controllers are a waste of money IMO. I bought several and all were off by at least 4 degrees. The Finnex controllers really suck bad. The one I received from Ken's was off by more than 5 degrees, had sticky buttons, and the customer service from FInnex was the absolute worst that I have dealt with. Skimping on important items like heating, filtration, and lighting are not worth it. I ended up spending almost $100 on the Ranco ETCI-1R and could not be any happier. It's very accurate and the build quality is excellent.

+1 on the Ranco etc1-1R. Have had mine setup for about a month or so and it is amazing. I paid around 90.00 for one from ETC supply already wired with heavy duty wiring. I had a failure and recognized that I could killed 800.00 worth of fish, and decided that 90.00 is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Also, would recommend a combination of heaters that if one fails the other can pickup the slack.

kris2341
11-20-2014, 08:35 PM

the ECTI-1R from Jehmco is pretty much the last controller the majority of people ever need to buy for a tank.

It is accurate, robust, and handles 1800w easy.

OC Discus
11-20-2014, 09:36 PM
I got the Azoo Micro Temp Controller. Anyone have experience with it.

Stinks that a temp controller would be inaccurate when that is its only purpose.

siuling337
11-24-2014, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the warning.