PDA

View Full Version : hydor heater varying temp in cold weather

jim LI
11-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Hi All,
I have an unusual thing happening with my heater. When I first install it, hydor 300w inline heater, the temp was always 84.2, within .5 degree. Now that the weather has gotten colder and the room temp has gone done a bit, the temp of the tank is 85.5. I haven't touch anything on the heather control. Is this a normal reaction of the heater to compensate for the lower room temp?

thanks,
jim

kris2341
11-21-2014, 12:37 PM
I would watch that thing very carefully from now on. Perhaps attach a second controller to it.

a temperature controller is supposed to monitor and keep the temperature where you set it... period! This means the one on the hydor might be going or this was just a one time thing.

jsullins
11-21-2014, 12:44 PM
It could be from the drop in temp in the room or from the cooler water as well unless you are ageing and pre-heating your water when you do your water changes. How ofter do you do a water change? You can try adjusting the controler and see if you can get it down a degree or two. Either way I would watch it in the coming days just to make sure it is not about to malfunction on yo.

jim LI
11-21-2014, 01:11 PM
thanks for the replies, I do a 60% wc every other day from the tap. i have no way to age the water in my home. i will watch and see what happens as often as i can.

thanks

OC Discus
11-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Isn't 85 a bit high unless treating something. Is your refill water much warmer than the tank? I've found 82 feels cool to the touch. Luke warm to me is about 90. This could explain the fluctuation. My temp rises to about 88 after a large wc then gradually drops back to 82. Maybe not ideal but no problems so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zergling
11-23-2014, 02:55 AM
How old is the heater? I wonder if it's on its way out now?

Mine died after 8 years of use, thankfully it died in the off position and didn't cook my tank.

DiscusLoverJeff
11-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Isn't 85 a bit high unless treating something. 82 has been established as the norm by current sd mods/admins. Is your refill water much warmer than the tank? I've found 82 feels cool to the touch. Luke warm to me is about 90. This could explain the fluctuation. My temp rises to about 88 after a large wc then gradually drops back to 82. Maybe not ideal but no problems so far.

85 is not that bad, some people hold 84/86 range, some 82/84.

But why does your water shoot up to 88? I would not get it that high. If anything, cooler is better. Maybe 78? You can get use to the touch after awhile.

OC Discus
11-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Mine rises because I usually change with warmer water. I could probably drop the new water down a few degrees.

jim LI
11-24-2014, 11:20 AM
thanks for all the replies. i found something interesting over the weekend. i had to change out my oil tank on my boiler. the house temp went down to around 60 degrees. the heater heated the water to 86.6. it was always at 84.2. after the heat come back on and the house stabilized at around 70 degrees, the tank temp was back to 84.4. i am assuming that the heater, being an inline heater, was affected by the room temp and was adjusting the water temp with the outside influence of the room temp that the heater casing was exposed to. i have a second tank with a submersible heater. that one never flinch over 76. that i what i keep it at. i will keep an eye on it to be sure... my heater is only 4 months old, so i don't think it is going yet.

jim

YSS
11-24-2014, 11:29 AM
thanks for all the replies. i found something interesting over the weekend. i had to change out my oil tank on my boiler. the house temp went down to around 60 degrees. the heater heated the water to 86.6. it was always at 84.2. after the heat come back on and the house stabilized at around 70 degrees, the tank temp was back to 84.4. i am assuming that the heater, being an inline heater, was affected by the room temp and was adjusting the water temp with the outside influence of the room temp that the heater casing was exposed to. i have a second tank with a submersible heater. that one never flinch over 76. that i what i keep it at. i will keep an eye on it to be sure... my heater is only 4 months old, so i don't think it is going yet.

jim

That makes sense. Since the hose was colder, heater was working more to heat the water, hence, the tank temp going up higher. By the way, as mentioned above, it's fine to keep water between 80 and 82. If you are keeping the temp higher than that for no particular reason, you are wasting energy.

jim LI
11-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Thank Yun. I will turn the temps down to 80 - 82... 2 degrees is 2 degrees saved.

thanks

OC Discus
11-24-2014, 03:44 PM
In my reading on sd 82 should be the minimum regular temp for discus with 84/86 being max normal temp. They are probably comfortable between 82-85.

jim LI
11-25-2014, 11:38 AM
thanks, OC

Northwoods Discus
11-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Is the heater on a temperature controller with a sensor in the tank or does it sense the temp in the line? The water in the line could be cooling before it gets to the heater and therefore heating the water returning to the tank more. If you use a controller the heater will be controlled by the tank temp and not just line temp. Also consider insulating the lines.

jim LI
11-25-2014, 05:32 PM
the temp control is in line in the hydor..i have been thinking on getting a controller, are there any suggested ones to use?

Northwoods Discus
11-26-2014, 11:36 AM
I don't have suggestions on brands. There is another current thread that suggests "Ranco" or "Jhemco". I had controllers on all of my tanks for backup to prevent a malfunction of the heaters. They are all in storage due to a move.
Insulating the lines may help also. But the controller will measure tank water temp not line temp.

jim LI
12-12-2014, 01:09 PM
I turned my heater down to 82. the tank is now a constant 84.2. i wanted to go a bit lower in the tank to 82, but i'll leave well enough alone. i am probably going to get the Jehmco controller. it seemed to be the most preferred on the forum.

thanks for all the replies,
jim

OC Discus
12-12-2014, 01:47 PM
What about lowering the setting 1-2 degrees to adjust for winter. It is probably working more than usual.

jim LI
12-12-2014, 02:27 PM
OC - I will try to turn it down a bit, I just ordered my controller, which should be here next week. i will set the controller 2 degrees down and leave the heaters set as they are. and do lots of experimenting.

thanks