PDA

View Full Version : Water transfer hose adapter for suction end? Almost killed a fish last night.

Tankster
11-21-2014, 01:11 PM
In the midst of my nightly water change, a split second of inattention to the suction end of the hose almost killed my Cobalt. I use a water transfer pump so suction is fairly strong and consistent, even when the business end of the hose gets blocked. I was in the midst of the change, sucking up oodles of poop and whatnot when I noticed some FDBW on the glass at the opposite end of the tank (65g), I went to wipe it down with my free hand and all of the sudden my pump goes into the high pitched squeal it makes when its blocked. Sure enough, my Cobalt is attached to the end! &%^(%!!#^, I shut down and he swims free and has a huge hickey where he was attached. Thank god it got him in the upper body just below his dorsal fin and missed his eyes and gills. He was looking like a goner last night but seems to be doing fine today. I will know in a day or two if he is really going to make it as my lingering concern is internal organ damage.

So, has anyone created a contraption to attach to the end of their intake hose that would prevent this? I have to admit, by the time I get to my water changes it is usually 11pm or Midnight and I am exhausted. I can't guarantee I wont pull a move like this again so want to see what others have come up with to avoid disaster...

Thanks!

kris2341
11-21-2014, 01:15 PM
I never use a pump if I can help it, I use pure gravity siphon. It is pretty hard to rig up a means to siphon and strainer such that fish don't get stuck in the tube without ruining the effectiveness of the siphon.

jsullins
11-21-2014, 01:35 PM
you could get a sponge big enough to stick over it and zip tie it on or you could get a brute trash can and siphon the water into the can and pump it out from there thats what I do so I dont have to worry about them getting stuck, I have sucked up a few catfish though in my siphon but you just pinch the line and they dart out not to be seen again for a day ot two.

MKD
11-21-2014, 01:36 PM
That's why i drill all my tanks. You can attach water hose to the short pvc and drill holes on pvc to reduce the suction.

Ryan
11-21-2014, 04:40 PM
I quickly siphon all the solids out, then I put a sponge over the siphon for the remainder of the water. If you use a wide vac attachment, a cut piece of AquaClear sponge can usually be stuffed into the end of it. That's how I've always done mine.

nc0gnet0
11-21-2014, 04:47 PM
The waynes come with a strainer on the end, easy to make one, just use and intake strainer from any canister filter.

OC Discus
11-22-2014, 01:48 PM
I took the largest siphon wand I could find and connected it to my 1" I'd hose using adapters from Lowes. The screen is at the top, so the same thing could happen. But the hard plastic is easier to control than a hose. I can park it in a corner and it keeps running without risk of catching a fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nc0gnet0
11-22-2014, 02:48 PM
I took the largest siphon wand I could find and connected it to my 1" I'd hose using adapters from Lowes. The screen is at the top, so the same thing could happen. But the hard plastic is easier to control than a hose. I can park it in a corner and it keeps running without risk of catching a fish.

Y'all are making this a lot harder than it has to be. Just get one of these and put it on the end of the hose, problem solved, and the shape prevents the fish from catching the full force of the siphon....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Bulkhead-Aquarium-Slip-Screen-Strainer-Insert-/231348425406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35dd70d2be

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDcxWDUwMA==/z/6S0AAMXQjUNR1EWu/$T2eC16Z,!)QE9s3HFgfmBR1EWtqFG!~~60_12.JPG

navydiscus
11-22-2014, 04:12 PM
The only issue with putting an adapter like the one pictures above is that it will cause the pump to work harder for the amount it's actually sucking, and have a higher likelihood of burning up the motor. Just my two cents. I've been using a pretty high powered pump with a free end house, and have not had that issue before. My discus tend to stay away from the end of the hose.

nc0gnet0
11-22-2014, 05:11 PM
The only issue with putting an adapter like the one pictures above is that it will cause the pump to work harder for the amount it's actually sucking, and have a higher likelihood of burning up the motor. Just my two cents

That makes absolutely no sense. The total area of the openings on the above pictured strainer would exceed the area of the open end of a hose, please explain how that could, in any way, burn up the motor?

nc0gnet0
11-22-2014, 05:18 PM
The Wayne Pc4 comes with such a strainer, purpose is to prevent large solids (gravel/rocks) from entering the pump. I am sure they would not include it if it would "burn up" the pump using it.

https://www.waynepumps.com/sites/default/files/PC4%203000x3000%20Branded.jpg

OC Discus
11-22-2014, 05:58 PM
My guys have poop so big it doesn't always fit through the screen.

Emowillcox
11-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Thanks I just ordered this device out to try.
Nc0gnet0 I have not heard many from Michigan say "yall" u didn't happen to live in Texas before?

nc0gnet0
11-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Thanks I just ordered this device out to try.
Nc0gnet0 I have not heard many from Michigan say "yall" u didn't happen to live in Texas before?

I talk to Jim &n John to much

rickztahone
11-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Y'all are making this a lot harder than it has to be. Just get one of these and put it on the end of the hose, problem solved, and the shape prevents the fish from catching the full force of the siphon....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Bulkhead-Aquarium-Slip-Screen-Strainer-Insert-/231348425406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35dd70d2be

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDcxWDUwMA==/z/6S0AAMXQjUNR1EWu/$T2eC16Z,!)QE9s3HFgfmBR1EWtqFG!~~60_12.JPG

This seems like the best solution for me.

I have always used a bare hose opening, but I have always been the one to hold the hose the entire time during a WC. I have a 1" ID hose, so it drains rather quick. I'll typically wipe before I get started with the siphon.

Edit: Btw OP, I'm sure you are keeping an eye on it, but from the past few times that this has happened to other members, they have typically lost their discus after something like this. I would QT it quickly if it starts acting out of the ordinary.

navydiscus
11-23-2014, 05:53 PM
nc0gnet0, let me take back what I said about that specific strainer and pump combination. I was just trying to say you want to minimize the amount you restrict the inlet hose of a pump using a strainer.

Tankster
11-23-2014, 09:39 PM
This seems like the best solution for me.

I have always used a bare hose opening, but I have always been the one to hold the hose the entire time during a WC. I have a 1" ID hose, so it drains rather quick. I'll typically wipe before I get started with the siphon.

Edit: Btw OP, I'm sure you are keeping an eye on it, but from the past few times that this has happened to other members, they have typically lost their discus after something like this. I would QT it quickly if it starts acting out of the ordinary.

I am amazed but, he is doing great. To be honest, this will probably end up being a cull anyway. My Cobalt is falling way behind and about half the size of my Marlboro Red. I'm not giving up on him yet... I have given up on him growing to anything more than 4, if that. Maybe I will set up a tank in my kids room for my culls. I could run a no death operation, and my kid would appreciate the fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tankster
11-23-2014, 09:40 PM

Going to pick one of these up. This is the solution I was looking for. Thanks Rick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk