PDA

View Full Version : measuring discus

lksdrinker
11-21-2014, 04:38 PM
What is the standard for measuring discus? Is it a nose to tail measurement or something else? What about the act of measuring? Is it a rough guess based on a fish in water or are discus pulled to be measured?

John_Nicholson
11-21-2014, 04:49 PM
When I first started standard length ( i.e. not counting the tail ), but at some point in time everyone started using total length ( i.e. the tail is part of the measurement ). This is how you tell if the person took the fish out to measure it or not.......When they tell you it is 7 or 8 inches they is about a 95% chance that they did not take it out and eye balled it......LOL. The vast majority of people significantly over estimate the length of their fish. To do it right put a towel on the floor. Put a tape measure or ruler down , and them lay the fish on the towel. The short amount of time that it takes to measure the fish will not hurt them at all.

-john

lksdrinker
11-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the info!

eyal-am
11-29-2014, 11:09 PM
mostly with tail , there is few people measure without tail !.

timmy82
11-30-2014, 12:18 AM
Most measure TL total length and as the way John described.

dghby
11-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Kind of like this, this guy is now 6 and 1/2 inches
http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii629/disc1961/024_zps5b38d42d.jpg (http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/disc1961/media/024_zps5b38d42d.jpg.html)

bluelagoon
11-30-2014, 10:19 AM
I think you meant 5.5"

dghby
11-30-2014, 10:25 AM
I think you meant 5.5"

NO I didn't, read the post and look at the date stamped on the pic. that pic was taken back in March, he is now 6 and 1/2 inches

dprais1
01-11-2015, 11:44 AM
At what point is it wise to start measuring. I tried with my runty, @1.5", but he flopped around so much I didn't really get a good measurement. When I put him back in the tank he was dark with very clamped fins. He is better this morning, 24hrs later, but he looked bad all of yesterday.

I would say the others are about 2".

Is it even worth the bother to measure at this size?
Is there a better way for fish this size?

dghby
01-11-2015, 12:08 PM
At what point is it wise to start measuring. I tried with my runty, @1.5", but he flopped around so much I didn't really get a good measurement. When I put him back in the tank he was dark with very clamped fins. He is better this morning, 24hrs later, but he looked bad all of yesterday.

I would say the others are about 2".

Is it even worth the bother to measure at this size?
Is there a better way for fish this size?

I never bother til they are close to 5 inches myself

a better way? LOL, you could put a tape measurer on the aquarium glass and sit and wait til they swim by it ;)

RogueDiscus
01-11-2015, 01:45 PM
This is the only guy I've ever bothered to measure. On the way back to the tank, he flopped out of my hand and cut his tail on the edge of the glass top. Luckily it has pretty much grown back.

Tankster
02-06-2015, 03:05 PM
I did this but laid saran wrap over the top over the tape measure and towel. I figured there was less of a chance of rubbing the slime coat off and it put a barrier between any left over detergent on the towel and possible contaminants on the tape measure.

Quintin
02-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Take the white styrofoam box lid fish arrive in lay them in there or plate works too.But i dnt really bother measuring them anymore unless for my own referance.It is usefull for bragging rights if you in to that kind of thing.

Tankster
02-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Take the white styrofoam box lid fish arrive in lay them in there or plate works too.But i dnt really bother measuring them anymore unless for my own referance.It is usefull for bragging rights if you in to that kind of thing.
It is also useful to document growth rates relative to established norms. If you are off the norm, you can make adjustments and get back on track. In my case, growing out in three groups consecutively, I can make changes, add perceived improvements and know if it actually makes a difference.
It also keeps me from boasting that I have a 6 inch fish when it is really only 5.

lksdrinker
02-09-2015, 06:32 PM
I think you meant 5.5"

NO I didn't, read the post and look at the date stamped on the pic. that pic was taken back in March, he is now 6 and 1/2 inches

I also thought you mis-typed as the photo shows that as a 5.5" fish!

I will admit, I am very surprised at how many people go for a literal measurement. I'll skip the possibility of stressing/killing a fish and just go with a good ballpark estimate of total length.

rickztahone
02-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Most people just measure because they are curious how large their discus are. Most will not report the measurement because they were way off :laugh:

Bill63SG
02-09-2015, 07:17 PM
I will admit, I am very surprised at how many people go for a literal measurement. .

When you are selling or buying a fish its quite important.If I make a deal on a 6.5" fish and its closer to 5.5,I get p1ssed.