PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys clean-out the slime build-up in your refill hose.

Larry Grenier
11-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Run diluted bleach thru the hose or what? I'm assuming I'm not the only guy having this annoyance.

DISCUS STU
11-24-2014, 12:06 PM
A combination bleach and dishwashing soap. I pour it in one end with a funnel, suspend the other end, then suspend the the original end and let stand for about 1-2 hours. Rinse thoroughly with hot water. This should do it. Bleach smell will stay with it for a little while but it shouldn't impact the water changes. Pretty cool to watch the gunk leave (lol).

Does the detritus affect anything? Not sure, but I'd rather have clean looking hoses.

adapted
11-24-2014, 01:44 PM
If you can force hot water, as hot as your water heater can provide, through the hose to soften it, and while the water is running squeeze the hose after it softens, the white stuff will let go fairly easily. I'm sure bleach works well too....

Wes
11-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Buy a black hose so that you do not see the gunk in side it. Just kidding, bleach and water works.:p

jsullins
11-24-2014, 04:45 PM
I just laeve the hose connected to the pump and put it in the trash can half full of water and pour bleach in, let it run for a couple of hours and looks brand new.

OC Discus
11-24-2014, 06:22 PM
If you are running clean water through the hose to refill the tank, you need to take care to dechlorinate it before re-use. If you can find a container big enough to lay the hose flat and fill/cover it with a 50/50 bleach water mix and let it soak about 24 hours. Then rinse in hot water and soak in clean water for another 24 hours. Then hang up and air dry before using. that should work and be safe.

DonMD
11-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Larry, I'm not understanding why there's slime in the hose in the first place. Do you use the same hose for both filling and draining your tanks, or just filling. If only for filling, why the slime? -Don

blueluv
11-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Larry, I'm not understanding why there's slime in the hose in the first place. Do you use the same hose for both filling and draining your tanks, or just filling. If only for filling, why the slime? -Don

I'm also curious which has the slime buildup.

Larry Grenier
11-24-2014, 10:29 PM
I use the hose only for filling from my reservoir but I get a little back wash after I turn the pump off. I also have several anubias floaters in there (I got that idea visiting Peter Thode's place several years ago). My reservoir is just an old 55 gallon aquarium. Yes, I know that the water in the reservoir is not sterile but sterility is is not my goal. I think I'll run hot diluted bleach water thru the hose for a few hours. Thanks. Hmm, I think I go have a yogurt now.

nc0gnet0
11-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Bleach is fine but I would pass on the dishwashing soap.