PDA

View Full Version : Split light cycle ?

Mongo77
11-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Hello, I think this was asked before but I can't seem to locate the thread. Can I have my lights come on for 4 hrs in the morning, go off and then have them go on for another 4-6 hrs late afternoon? The reason is I leave for work at 5 am. I would like for them to go on at 4:30 so I can feed at 4:50. Then have then go off at 8:30, there will be ambient light in the room by then. At 3pm I would like for the light to go back on do I can feed and enjoy the fish while I'm home till around 8 pm. Do you think the split cycle will stress the fish?

adapted
11-29-2014, 01:25 PM
The fish are unlikely to care in the least. Theoretically, you can get a little bit of a carbon dioxide boost doing this which might help your plants, depending on available nutrients and light intensity.. (The plants will be producing CO2 while the lights are out mid-day, which they can use when the lights come back on.

DonMD
11-29-2014, 01:39 PM
During the week in my display tank I only have the lights on for 2 hours in the early morning, then for about 4 hours in the evening. It has eliminated any algae buildup in that tank, and there's enough ambient light for the fish to see the food from the automatic feeder.

Mongo77
11-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Great. Thanks for the replies.