PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Horrible calcium problem.. see photo

Stonecrazy6
11-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Just getting back into the hobby of keeping lovely discus fish. I refinished the cabinet the night before the fish arrived. Now it's a pretty barn wood look. As I was cycling the tank, this problems had been growing and now it's pretty much out of control. I scrap and it's back almost right away. Some of the "calcium" deposits don't even scrap off. I think I may be scratching the tank even though I am being careful.

I have taken everything pretty out of the tank until this is fixed.

I have been suggested to get a water softener.. and I may have to do just that..

so, anyone have any other ideas or thoughts about the the water softener? I just hate the way this looks.. I work hard keeping clean water, got some lovely fish and I'm wanting it all to look nice.. and it just looks awful..

http://www.sandrasdecor.com/jewelry/calicum%201a.jpg http://www.sandrasdecor.com/jewelry/calicum%202.jpg

Altum Nut
11-29-2014, 11:13 PM
It could be something that was etched in the glass previously. Was this tank a salt water set-up before?
The only suggestion I have is to house fish and media either in another tank or plastic tote and use Muriatic Acid to clean glass.

...Ralph

Altum Nut
11-29-2014, 11:18 PM
Found a thread on this....
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?74578-What-is-the-best-way-to-clean-calcium-build-up-from-glass-aquarium-cover

...Ralph

Stonecrazy6
11-29-2014, 11:52 PM
thanks folks for the replies.. I was hopeful for more preventative measures.. other than getting a whole house softener.. :( *sigh* I do think it is in my water, the heaters are covered as well.. vinegar takes it off the heater pretty well.. this can't be doing much good for my other equipment either..

Altum Nut
11-30-2014, 01:59 AM
There is another suggestion to install a carbon pre-filter. They also have what they call a calcium reduction filter along with the carbon filter but it can be kind of expensive.

...Ralph

pcsb23
11-30-2014, 12:43 PM
RO for the tank perhaps.

nc0gnet0
11-30-2014, 12:59 PM
Are you sure this wasn't once a Salt water tank? +1 on the muratic acid.

Second Hand Pat
11-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Are you sure this wasn't once a Salt water tank? +1 on the muratic acid.

The patterns where the calcium is collecting looks exactly like how coralline grows in the a marine tank.

Stonecrazy6
12-01-2014, 10:23 AM
this was a used tank, the guy that last had it had fresh water and he was local and didn't have this problem, but I do believe that the previous owner had salt water.. It had wave makers and a sump.. it does sound like it was salt water. Do you think that makes a difference? would that had etched the tank somehow?

Second Hand Pat
12-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Are you getting calcium deposits at the waterline? If not then I suspect you are seeing something else in your tank.

Stonecrazy6
12-01-2014, 11:25 AM
none at the water line.. but with every water change there is a fresh film on the glass.. that comes off easily.. like a dusting? the side and back has a harder layer that scrapes off to a point..

I have my lovely bowfront tank sitting next to it right now for my next water change.. I'm wondering if it will help the issue by depositing out in a tank I can clean with vinegar.. not really wanting to break the big tank down with newly purchased fish..

also, we are getting all the supplies for a drip line/auto water changer. It will have several filters that could help.. maybe

I also think that the "prime" may have something to do with it. I mean, the rest of my house isn't caked with calcium.. we have some, but nothing like what is happening in the tank.

my hubby has wanted a softener, so that may what we will do after the holidays..

grrr... getting back into keeping discus has been one battle after another :(

Northwoods Discus
12-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Do you know the hardess level of your house water? You do not want to use softened water in your tanks, it is high in sodium. The sodium replaces the calcium in the softener. The only way to reliably reduce calcium hardness is to use a reverse osmosis R/O filter. Mix R/O water with unsoftened water to get the desired level of hardness for the tank water.

Stonecrazy6
12-01-2014, 02:13 PM
my water hardness is high around 350-400ppm.. I have an ro unit I can use.

Also, possibly unrelated.. My PH is 7.5 out of the tap.. once it is in my tank for around 48 hours, it goes up to 8.2-8.5! My fish do seem more lively after a water change and I have a couple of fish that have labored breathing and I see a little bit of rubbing against stuff. I treated for gill flukes, but I'm thinking it's possible it is from the fluctuating ph.. I'm keeping a watchful eye on them..

I set up the other tank to age the water and help keep the ph more stable for the fish.. Once the drip system is in place, that should keep the ph level since fresh water will be continuously going into the tank. but that probably won't help with the calcium deposit problem..

Northwoods Discus
12-01-2014, 03:33 PM
R/O is not that complicated to install. Units of all capacity are available. For one tank a small unit would be enough. They are not that expensive. You will have some cost in filter changes periodically. I have hard well water issues and R/O is the only solution. The ph is usually not an issue if you age your water to keep it consistent. R/O will generally lower your Ph. Too low a hardness will potentially lead to ph crash so don't go pure R/O

Stonecrazy6
12-01-2014, 04:57 PM
aging the water can only be temporary as the 36 gallon tank can't sit on my living room floor indefinitely.. so for now, won't adding R/O water just make a larger swing in ph? Unless I did an additional water change in between regular water changes..??

OC Discus
12-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Can you clean it well enough to remove the build up. If so, for prevention, have you tried completely wiping down all surfaces at least weekly and performing a large water change 80% after the wipe down. This could prevent the build up.

Also, is it glass or acrylic? Is the surface damaged by sand paper or something? Rough to touch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northwoods Discus
12-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Adding R/O will decrease the calcium level in the water and possibly decrease precipitation on the glass.

Stonecrazy6
12-03-2014, 02:44 PM
I can remove most of it.. there is always a hint of it left over in spots on the back and sides...there may be some etching.. not sure. and it's not an easy job.. 24" tall tank!! the scraping noise kind of upsets the discus.. and family members too!! =( I've been working on it as I do water changes to get them accustomed to the action and noise.. but I like that idea.. THANKS! Once I can get to the point of really scraping, then I'll give that a try..

I just started adding RO water with my last water change.. since my water ph rises too high anyways.. this of course will now complicate the drip system I just got.. never anything easy, right?!

Last water change I used the 36 gallon tank to age the water.. NO calcium precipitation there? at least not yet..

aovifo
12-04-2014, 04:13 PM
my water hardness is high around 350-400ppm.. I have an ro unit I can use.

Also, possibly unrelated.. My PH is 7.5 out of the tap.. once it is in my tank for around 48 hours, it goes up to 8.2-8.5! My fish do seem more lively after a water change and I have a couple of fish that have labored breathing and I see a little bit of rubbing against stuff. I treated for gill flukes, but I'm thinking it's possible it is from the fluctuating ph.. I'm keeping a watchful eye on them..

I set up the other tank to age the water and help keep the ph more stable for the fish.. Once the drip system is in place, that should keep the ph level since fresh water will be continuously going into the tank. but that probably won't help with the calcium deposit problem..

Hi,
I have the same PH numbers exactly. After a lot of research I now know for sure that the reason is that CO2 is dissolved in the tap water and makes the PH lower, and after 24-48 hours it goes to air and the PH goes higher.
This PH changes is not good for the fish. They won't eat well and it damage their health. I couldn't age the water, but I built constant flow 24 hours, the water gets in constantly and get out from overflow hose. So the PH doesn't change. I saw dramatic improve in fish apetite, confidence and health.

Isaac

aovifo
12-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Your fish are very beautiful. But the dorsal fins are not open wide, it may show some stress.

aovifo
12-04-2014, 06:36 PM
About PH shock:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?116897-PH-is-killing-me

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/PH_Shock
http://animals.pawnation.com/ph-shock-symptoms-fish-10069.html

Stonecrazy6
12-05-2014, 03:41 AM
Hi,
I have the same PH numbers exactly. After a lot of research I now know for sure that the reason is that CO2 is dissolved in the tap water and makes the PH lower, and after 24-48 hours it goes to air and the PH goes higher.
This PH changes is not good for the fish. They won't eat well and it damage their health. I couldn't age the water, but I built constant flow 24 hours, the water gets in constantly and get out from overflow hose. So the PH doesn't change. I saw dramatic improve in fish apetite, confidence and health.

Isaac

This is GREAT to hear! I was hoping the drip system would change over enough to keep the ph at a normal level.. awesome! What is your system setup? How much water do you change out each day? Do you have any prefilters with carbon cartridges? I should have all my equipment to get this set up this weekend.. hopefully.. The water changes are a bugger right now..

Stonecrazy6
12-05-2014, 03:43 AM
Your fish are very beautiful. But the dorsal fins are not open wide, it may show some stress.

Thank you! Can't beat fish from Kenny!! Yes, that photo was only a few days after shipment.. plus the ph was doing it's thing. The last few days with aged water has shown me what my discus are all about.. lots of chasing and aggressive eating! I was so worried!!

Stonecrazy6
12-05-2014, 03:53 AM
About PH shock:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?116897-PH-is-killing-me

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/PH_Shock
http://animals.pawnation.com/ph-shock-symptoms-fish-10069.html

great links, THANK YOU! I was kind of surprised when I called the vendor and told him about the drop in ph .. he said it was nothing to worry about... but the fish are looking better each day. I guess no one can know everything!

I also have some driftwood I can put in the tank.. just need to get it to sink..it came with the tank and the previous owner had it anchored with something..

Stonecrazy6
12-05-2014, 03:59 AM
Also, I have researched and found some tidbits that the salt water algea has probably etched the glass from a previous owner. This makes A LOT OF SENCE! Yes, there is a constant, light dusting of calcium in the tank everywhere, but those solid patches won't go away completely even with heavy scraping.. there is still a stain / etching . and it comes back within a very short time..

For now, I think I'll put a blue background on and think "clouds".. lol!!!

I've looked into getting another tank.. not too terribly expensive. After the holidays I may just go get one.. OR get a big bowfront! I just hate to replace the stand that I just refinished.. decisions, decisions!

I really REALLY appreciate the help here!!

Sandra

Stonecrazy6
12-05-2014, 12:51 PM
THIS is what I REALLY want!! *drool*
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/images/products/detail/DSAExtremeBowFront.jpg

starting at a grand.. will need to save a bit.. :)

OC Discus
12-05-2014, 01:34 PM
A good way to help jump start the economic recovery. Hope it works for you.