PDA

View Full Version : Discus Eggs Urgent

stevegb
12-02-2014, 09:52 AM
I need some help.

I am going to move some discus eggs from my main tank...obviously i will be adding an air flow for water movement and keep a constant temp.

My question is:

What is the best temp to keep the eggs? (30 degrees C ?)

Do i need to add light to the discus eggs? (i doubt it right?)

Also i wanted to add some Methylene blue. The eggs where laid yesterday (not sure if early mornign or afternoon) as I was at work. Is it ok if I add some Methylene blue even though I am not sure when the eggs will hatch! If they hatch will the fry die if the water still contains Methylene blue??

I will then transfer the wrigglers into my home made discus hatchery.

Thanks a lot,

SGB

nc0gnet0
12-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Do you have soft water?

ref0716
12-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Steve - I hatch eggs at 80 degrees F. using 1 drop MB per gallon. Expect a hatch at about 2.5 days. After hatching, make water change to reduce the level of MB by at least 50 percent. . When free swimming (about 3-4 more days), move to your artificial raising machine. That's what works for me. Good luck.
Richard

stevegb
12-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks Richard,

I understand!

Should I do water changes during the 3-4 days even though they wont be eating? Should I leave the air flow during these days to or will that we too much water movement for the wrigglers?

To answer nc0gnet0 question: No i don't not have soft water. Actually it is very hard but just had a hatch last week and 95% of eggs where fine!

Thanks,

SGB

kris2341
12-02-2014, 01:53 PM
a hatch in hard water? it may not be as hard as you think then.

Congrats though!

ref0716
12-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Steve - After reducing MB through water changes, I don't change water again until the free swimming fry begin to eat. I aerate vigorously until eggs hatch, and then reduce a lot for the wrigglers. Good luck.
Richard

stevegb
12-09-2014, 08:19 AM
Can someone inform me how old/(or size) when I should move discus from the Coffee basket to another tank? What time of filtration should I use? Can I use a corner box filter for example and a 50 liter tank or is that too big?? Thanks in advance

stevegb
12-12-2014, 07:17 AM
Anyone?

stevegb
12-16-2014, 04:25 AM
Can someone inform me how old/(or size) when I should move discus from the Coffee basket to another tank? What time of filtration should I use? Can I use a corner box filter for example or just one of the round sponges with air will do? and a 50 liter tank or is that too big?? Thanks in advance

CliffsDiscus
12-16-2014, 03:41 PM
I remove the fry but from bowls about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks, depending on their growthrate and availablity of tanks space. They go in a 10 gallon half filled(5 gallons) then after a week I'll fill the tanks full, later 20 gallon tanks then to 50 or 55 gallon tanks. As for filters in the 10 gallons there are no filters just an airline, wipe down daily and do one or two 100 percent waterchange. You can have a batch of fry every week
till the spawning cycle stops for the female or till the male need a rest, so extra tanks are needed.
Cliff