PDA

View Full Version : alternatives to RO for source nitrate removal?

sheaspina
12-02-2014, 05:23 PM
The missus & I recently bought a house, & after some settle in time I'm looking to get back into some breeding. Our house is on well water, which generally appears to be rather decent for discus. TDS is around 58 w/ ph @ 5.8. The issue is there is about 5-10ppm nitrates (we're in a farming valley east of Seattle w/ common well depths at 30-60ft....so it's not unexpected).

The nitrates is low enough it doesn't seem to bother my other fish, but especially when it comes time to raise batches of fry, I don't want my w/c's starting with nitrates in the "clean" water. For the time being, I'm just going to keep all my discus, young or old, on remin'd ro, but I was wondering if there are alternatives for removing nitrates from the well water? Judging from past experience, things escalate to changing a couple hundred gallons per day pretty quickly, & I imagine having to produce that much ro could be quite tedious.

pcsb23
12-02-2014, 06:45 PM
There are a number of ways but I'm not sure any are that efficient. There are adsorptive resins, but these need replacing/re-charging so are either expensive or time consuming and messy and expensive! You could try some form of refugium, but that would mean more equipment, lighting/pumps etc and could costly and I'm not sure how quickly it would remove nitrates (would also remove phosphates too). Then there are nitrate filters (anaerobic and a pain to setup) again not sure how effective it would be.

If I were lucky enough to have tap water as soft as yours and with the level of nitrates you have, I'd smile quietly to myself, heat it and use it as it is! :)

bluelagoon
12-03-2014, 11:28 AM
I have an eight inch discus here that was raised in higher nitrates than that,also from a farming area.

sheaspina
12-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Well then. I guess using nitrates as an indicator of the effectiveness/need of a w/c for so long has me placing more importance on it than needed. If it's indeed not that big of a deal, I guess that will really simplify things.

Will see how it goes, Thanks!