PDA

View Full Version : So Let me ask you this?

brewmaster15
12-04-2014, 01:38 PM
That last few years we have seen a huge increase in the numbers of people with smart phones. I feel like I went out stark naked when I leave home without it! Its that bad. I do really depend on it for connectivity.... However...Its a royal PITA to post on forums with or write emails with. It doesn't matter if you are using a browser or tapa what evr app:) (which I hate BTW)

The problem is fat fingers, small screens even on big phones... and yes, eye sight challenges. I honestly can't type worth a Darn on them. I find myself straining to read on a phone , but waiting until I can actually use a lap top/keyboard etc. I don't really like typing on a tablet either. I find when I do try and write something with a phone or tablet, its a frustrating event as my spelling and grammar are actually worse than normal...if thats possible. And when I succeed, my fingers ache, eyes are tired and even my shoulder/neck feel like I just lugged a cord of wood. The result of this is I post less often unless I have a keyboard, or I post in brief abbreviated responses and emails..still with bad writing thru out.

So let me ask you this... Does anyone actually prefer typing on the phone or tablet over the keyboard. Not talking about it being convenient....more about the feeling..Whats more comfortable. I do love my smart phone for many things... writing anything more than a few brief texts or sentences is about my limit with it.

-al

dragon1974
12-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Keyboard is better I find. I'm like you when it comes to texting.

Second Hand Pat
12-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Well, I am not fond of texting either on my smart phone for the reasons you state Al. So I speak my text message now and when the phone gets the message correct...eureka. But when it messes up the text it can be a PITA to fix as placing the cursor where you want can be challenging or down right impossible.

Forget it if you want to copy and paste, it ain't happening and that goes for the phone or iPad.

MKD
12-04-2014, 02:17 PM
too me, smart phone is for Short text, post and reply only and people get used to smart phone errors. It's 1 of big markets to keep US economy but i agree with you. I am kinda old fashion still trying to catch up with all technologies. That's crazy and sometimes i wonder myself when it stops, what is the limit and what happen to those who not able to keep up???

twocat
12-04-2014, 02:21 PM
I miss my flip phone, need I say more.

Mark

MKD
12-04-2014, 02:23 PM
I saw news the other day, flip phones come back. We'll see

DISCUS STU
12-04-2014, 04:26 PM
I post to the forum on my keyboard pc. I'm not interested in trying to torture a post out of my smart phone, which is a good one, but it's not worth the PITA. I see people do it on the forum but they're usually brief responses. The smartphone tag appears on the bottom of their posts.

I think you may have to be in your teens or twenties to be able to successfully post in longer increments well. They grew up texting. :)

I haven't tried it with voice to text assist, which I use for longer texts but I'm happy doing it this way.

sdrexler078
12-04-2014, 06:02 PM
I actually prefer phones. I've never been a big fan of keyboards. The keys are too spread out and being 26 I've had a cell phone for over half my life lol so I'm more used to a phone than getting on computer

sdrexler078
12-04-2014, 06:06 PM
I know it's bad to say this and I don't anymore but it was way easier to text and drive with flip phone that had real buttons than it is a phone with touch screen

brewmaster15
12-04-2014, 06:15 PM
I know it's bad to say this and I don't anymore but it was way easier to text and drive with flip phone that had real buttons than it is a phone with touch screen
well theres another thing I dont like about texting on a smart phone..its less safe than the flip phones!

Discus-n00b
12-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Keyboard is definitely more comfortable and easier to type on. But I have no qualms about posting from my phone....young eyes and such I guess. I won't wait to post for a keyboard I'll put it that way.

Len
12-04-2014, 06:47 PM
I hate typing period on my phone. It's good to be able to in a pinch, but a laptop or pc is so much easier. When texting, it doesn't make sense to me most times. You text me, I have to respond, you text again, I respond. Come on! Pick up the phone and call me and the whole conversation can be less than a minute instead of annoying textx back and forth. Just sayin

MKD
12-04-2014, 07:04 PM
You can't talk in class but you can text lol. Technology, sometimes i don't understand.

nc0gnet0
12-04-2014, 08:56 PM
What's a text? :)

MKD
12-04-2014, 09:05 PM
No need to drive. Put your car in autopilot, now you can text, check junk emails and take a nap lol

Added: more time shopping online boost the economy up haha

Jimambroz
12-04-2014, 09:35 PM
I like the good old key board for most things, that phone has auto insert or correct or some crazy app, I have sent some pretty strange messages, still on the learning curve, learned to read before send. I do miss my flippy, this iphone is for purses,

Whiskey
12-04-2014, 11:56 PM
I work in IT and support a couple hundred of these things for our mobile sales force, it really amazes me the things that these people do with them. Myself? I prefer my laptop every day of the week, but I see allot of people with bluetooth keyboard cases that gives them the keyboard they need to type out a long email.

Whiskey

Ardan
12-05-2014, 07:04 AM
I still have my flip phone, not sure I will get a smart phone......:confused: I like my laptop.

Ardan

Disgirl
12-05-2014, 08:45 AM
My flip phone and my 10" HP laptop do everything I need. Both easy and high enough tech for me!
Barb

SMB2
12-05-2014, 11:17 AM
I like the flip phone with the big numbers and calls somebody when I fall and can't get up.

YSS
12-05-2014, 11:22 AM
I use my computer less and less and use my Samsung S5 more and more. S5 is a bigger phone so it's not that bad to use. Plus, Samsung phones have input device called "Swype" which I really like and typing on touch screen keyboard is easier. But I still prefer real keyboards over the tiny ones on the smart phones.

aalbina
12-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Typing on my phone generally just aggravates me. I do use voice most of the time and that has worked out pretty well for me. Eventually you learn the quirks of how you have to say something to make the phone get it right. For the tablet - I have a Bluetooth keyboard that's part of the case, is back-lit and that is pretty much just like typing on a laptop keyboard. I have used that setup to reply at some length to emails. I also use it extensively for note taking in classes. I get the vision issues - I'm generally looking under my glasses in order to see the screen and then through them to see the rest of the world. It hasn't made my neck sore yet and I'm not a good typist so I need to look at the keys. Most of the people in my program are far younger than me - and they do the same thing with the tablet.

Adam

jsullins
12-05-2014, 01:57 PM
If I have my choice I will take the keyboard for sure, the big figers and bad eyes with the small screen don't mix well. I have sent a couple of hillarious text's with the help of the auto-correct function on my phone.

Tankster
12-05-2014, 03:31 PM
When not at work, I rarely use my desktop (yes they still exist) or laptop, unless I need to place an order with someone who does not have an online store with mobile capabilities. I am 100% iPhone and iPad. I do hate to type on those devices but find it is more convenient to be able to be anywhere I want to be and connected, if I choose to be. Just a bit of a pain to lug the laptop around, boot it up, deal with the heat on your lap, and only having 3-6 hours of battery unless you are close to an power outlet. Admittedly, if I did not have the iPad with the larger viewing screen, I would probably be on my laptop more.

OC Discus
12-05-2014, 11:25 PM
I prefer a keyboard on an ultraportable laptop over a phone or tablet. I did upgrade to the iPhone 6 for the added real estate. You can run the iphone 6 in zoom mode and bold the text which makes buttons and keys bigger. Typing with both thumbs in landscape mode is much easier than using non smart phone. Makes the keys bigger for my fat fingers.

nc0gnet0
12-05-2014, 11:28 PM
To me, I prefer to text rather than to use the phone, but for posting to a forum such as this, much prefer a keyboard/laptop/desktop over a phone/tablet.

rickztahone
12-06-2014, 02:20 PM
I have found that I do not mind browsing forums no my phone. However, I do not like replying to posts on my phone. Typically, I tend to copy/paste a lot and link to places and that is next to impossible on a phone.

I also do not like typing on an iPad. I have to type with 2 fingers there which I hate. If I need to do some serious posts I will jump on a desktop and type away.

The phone serves a great purpose for social media though. There are some apps and such that I would never use on a computer, such as instagram. Typos and such aren't a big concern, actually almost always not a concern at all, lol.

Voice to text is very convenient, however, when you recite a whole bunch of stuff to it, at times you miss grammatical errors or auto text errors and send it as is, only to realize that the message was not perfect.

nc0gnet0
12-06-2014, 02:26 PM
I can never for some reason respond to a post on here on my surface. Every time I try the keyboard disappears.

rickztahone
12-06-2014, 02:27 PM
I can never for some reason respond to a post on here on my surface. Every time I try the keyboard disappears.

Do you click the reply box? Sometimes I have to click it like 3 times.

tonytheboss1
12-06-2014, 09:18 PM
I hate typing period on my phone. It's good to be able to in a pinch, but a laptop or pc is so much easier. When texting, it doesn't make sense to me most times. You text me, I have to respond, you text again, I respond. Come on! Pick up the phone and call me and the whole conversation can be less than a minute instead of annoying textx back and forth. Just sayin

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: YES!! CALL ME!!! "T"