PDA

View Full Version : Lowering pH

Steve_Meyers
12-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Hi Everyone...
Happy Holidays !

My water is 7.6 pH.. I would like to know how I can lower to 7.0. I cannot use Seachem Discus Buffer because it is phosphate base... Is Seachem's Acid Buffer, which is Carbonate based, safe to use in a Discus tank????

Many Thanks !!
Steve

John_Nicholson
12-08-2014, 01:07 PM
First why are you lowering it? It is normally best to leave it alone. The most important thing is that it is stable.

-john

DISCUS STU
12-08-2014, 01:23 PM
First why are you lowering it? It is normally best to leave it alone. The most important thing is that it is stable.

-john

Good question. Why do you want to lower it? The older recommendations used to call for low ph's but that isn't really relevant anymore. Discus really just need clean water in regard to ammonia, nitrite, etc. Using additives to lower ph can also lead to some nasty crashes if your not really careful. It's really just extra work. Higher stable ph's work out much better for me in the long run.

Steve_Meyers
12-08-2014, 01:49 PM
They were bred in 7.0.... But if I can change to 7.6. That's why I came to the "pros"... Here... so it's 7.2 now. How gradually should I raise it... I do weekly 40% water changes... should I just start doing my water changes at 7.6 ???? At 40% it would take a few changes to get it to 7.6.

Thanks in advance.... Happy Holidays !!!
Steve

jsullins
12-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Just keep doing water changes with straight tap but you need to do more than 40% weekly, try that daily or every other day.

Larry Bugg
12-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Yup, if they are juvies then you need to be doing daily water changes if you want them to grow to their potential.

jim LI
12-08-2014, 03:35 PM
My PH is 7.6 out of the tap. I used a piece of driftwood in my tank when I first set it up. after about 2 month, my PH is 7.0. even after doing w/c with the tap water

Tankster
12-08-2014, 03:47 PM
I think you are over thinking this. A pH swing from 7.2 to 7.6 is negligible - the fish won't even notice. What you should focus on is a stable pH. I have a 1 point swing from 7.2 up to 8.2 after 24 hours. I manage this by aging my water for 24 hours prior to a water change; so I am adding water during my water changes with a pH value the same or very close to the tank homing the fish. The discus are doing fantastic, growing very well (look for a grow out update from within the next 2 days) and are thriving in the 8+ pH water. The main thing is consistency.
How you achieve that is going to depend on your particular situation. Do you have a pH swing after 24 hours out of the tap? Is it a large enough swing to justify aging the water? Do you have room for a water aging barrel or tank?

Don't sweat trying to find the perfect pH, find a way to have consistent pH and your fish will be happy and thrive.

*Edit - noticed your post that it is 7.6 out of the tap. If you can, set up a test of your pH swing. Use a large glass pitcher or anything that will hold a decent volume of water. If you can, aerate for 24 hours and test again. Once you figure out if you have a pH swing (many do as a result of additives at water treatment facilities) it will point you in the right direction as to how you should proceed. You are assuming the driftwood caused your pH to drop which is possible, but I would rule out a 24 hour pH swing before I did anything else.

In any event, depending on how young your fish are, a pH swing from 7.2 to 7.6 is not going to harm these fish... unless they are VERY young... and even then, maybe not at all.

rickztahone
12-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Straight tap water will do you just fine. Listen to the advice given.

Steve_Meyers
12-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Yes, I did the 48 hour swing test... there was no markable change...
Not sure how old they are... but they are 2.5 inches..
Yes I have 2 40 gallon barrels... one used only for new water going into the tank... the other for pumping the old water out... I appreciate all the thoughts and tips... Will allow tap water in with no alterations as to pH...
Thank you for all the tips, thoughts, and info...
Happy Holidays !
Steve

pcsb23
12-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Don't fight the pH, just let it go where it will, both you and your fish will be the happier for it.

DISCUS STU
12-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Good advice from all above. A stable higher ph is usually better. Discus can adjust to variations as long as it's not too dramatic and ph rising as opposed to falling has never been an issue. A huge swing would be from 7 to 5 downward. As far as greater ph swings upward , I haven't noted this as much of an issue.

Discus-Hans
12-11-2014, 02:40 AM
Steve,

I told you so lol lol

Hans