PDA

View Full Version : Discus around 3 inches

Fly
12-09-2014, 07:08 PM
I just received 9 discus around 3 inches, at this size how many times per day they should be feed? Thank you

discuspaul
12-09-2014, 07:14 PM
I suggest 2 or 3 times a day. More often if you have the opportunity, but light feedings.

John_Nicholson
12-09-2014, 08:23 PM
I normally feed heavy twice a day. I also siphon the uneaten food aftern each feeding. I change at least 50% of the water a day.

-john

Fly
12-09-2014, 09:31 PM
That is too much wather changing...only if you have new wilds maibe. Thanks

rickztahone
12-09-2014, 09:43 PM

Welcome to SimplyDiscus Fly. John is one of the most successful breeders on the site. I know his current routine has worked well for him for many, many years. Daily water changes and feeding good food will give discus the best chance at reaching their fullest potential.

Rudustin
12-10-2014, 08:04 PM
There is no such thing as too many water changes if you want to keep discus. I have eight tanks of discus(only five at the moment that are occupied including two hospital tanks) Water changes happen on all tanks every other day for the larger at fifty percent, and qt. and hospital tanks every day. It is the only way to keep them healthy. Rufus

jsullins
12-10-2014, 08:47 PM
lol
Welcome to SD and good luck with your discus. As stated above you can't change to much water if you want your fish to reach their full potential.

Fly
12-11-2014, 10:27 AM
I change three times a week like 30-40%. Maibe I should do more than that. Best way to do it is John way. Thank you

DISCUS STU
12-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Welcome Fly! Frequent water changes are a must.

a) Is the tank bare bottom?
b) What type of filter are you using?
c) What temperature are you keeping them?
d) How large is the tank?
e) Have you kept Discus before?

2-3 feedings a day is good. I usually spoil the babies by feeding more though I don't know if it really does more than just make it necessary to do more water changes.

Fly
12-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Yes I have kept discus before. The tank is bare bottom, temperature 29, 150 gallon tank, the filters ,a sump and a big inside sponge filter. I decided to do three feedings a day. Beef heart mix. Cristian