PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Wild green tefe

Mclane
12-09-2014, 09:52 PM
My wilds will only eat black worms. They swim around the blood worms like they don't see them. They did try beef heart but spit it out. Do you think the can't see red??

Second Hand Pat
12-09-2014, 10:02 PM
No, you have them spoiled to eat one kind of food.

Larry Bugg
12-09-2014, 10:19 PM
As Pat said they are spoiled!!

Stop feeding the blackworms and forget about the blood worms. Get a good flake or pellet or some beefheart and ONLY feed that. Be sure to clean up what they don't eat. Discus can go for weeks without eating so don't worry if they don't eat at first. Eventually they will get hungry and eat whatever you are feeding them. Then you can add the blackworms back into the diet if you want.

Mclane
12-09-2014, 10:41 PM
When I got them they went for a week without eating, so I finally called to find out what they were being fed. Once they saw the black worms they ate like crazy. I seriously wonder if they can't see red. Like I said earlier they at least tried the beef heart. They just swim around the bloodworms. You would think they would try them.

Mclane
12-09-2014, 10:43 PM
I have 11 and all the others eat flakes, and worms.

JamesP
12-09-2014, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't feed them for a couple of days and then introduce other foods besides Black Worm. As Larry said they will eventually start eating what you offer. Years ago I feed a lot of live Black Worms and getting fish to accept anything else took time. I know I don't want to hear about live Black Worms. I said years ago! LOL Time for tough love.

Jim

Mclane
12-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Yes, very tough. I can't stand seeing them begging when they see me!:(
Somewhere I read pellets could swell inside them and cause problems, ever heard that?

brett72586
12-09-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm going through this same thing. Only fed beef heart and blood worms. Its been over a week and I'm only feeding pellets once a day since they just look at it BUT as of yesterday and today about half have consumed about 4-6 pellets with out spitting them out. hopefully next week i can start feeding 3 times or more a day again.

JamesP
12-09-2014, 11:04 PM
I feed pellets to all of my grow outs and have never had an issue. I also use tetra Bits with no issue along with Freeze dried blood worms, Hamburger/Turkey mix, multiple types of pellets and freeze dried Black Worms.

Mclane
12-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Well I guess I just have to take the advice here and only feed what they need for a while and hope for the best. Thank you everyone. I'm fairly new at the Discus thing, but I have moved to 125 gal tank and I absolutely love my Discus. Most of them will eat out of my hand, they are more like pets than any other fish I've ever seen.

DISCUS STU
12-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Yes they probably are spoiled and yes they can see red. Are you feeding them live black worms? Are they mixed with domestic or even wild Discus that are eating other types of food? I've always mixed wilds and domestics together and the wilds always learned from the fish that were eating a variety of food. I've never had a wild fish that didn't eventually come around to eating all the food the others were also eating. This is everything from flake to beef heart, Tetra Bits, etc.

If you don't have these types of other "dither" Discus around just have patience and gradually ween them from the food they will eat to other types by gradually introducing the other foods when you feed them the live worms. Even mixing it in with the food they will eat.

Eventually they'll come around. Good luck! Wild Tefes can be really beautiful fish that display their colors more subtlety than domestic types.

OC Discus
12-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Some pellets are harder and take longer to soften up. I've just started Cobalt pellets and have been very happy. They slowly sink to the bottom, don't get picked up by the filters, and are a highly nutritious beefheart mix. This is the morning meal. In the evening they get Ocean Nutrition Discus flakes. They are about 55% protein and the fish love them. They do get pulled into the filters rather easily, so a couple of smaller feedings is needed in the evening.

plecocicho
12-13-2014, 10:57 AM
I have yet to see a wild discus who wont eat tropical discus gran and tropical spirulina forte with glee. They will also love fd blackworms.

Mclane
12-14-2014, 09:22 PM
I'll have to try these.

adapted
12-15-2014, 09:05 PM
I have 8 adult wilds and it took awhile but I have them all more or less eagerly eating Hans' Discus Flake. Some of them held out for weeks but they have all forgotten that they thought they didn't lie them.

Mclane
12-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Pat, can you tell me about the red wiggles you culture?

Second Hand Pat
12-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Pat, can you tell me about the red wiggles you culture?

Hi Melissa, red wigglers are a small earthworm, they are also known as compost worms. You set up a bin with potting soil (no fertilizer) and can feel the worms various kitchen scraps, mainly non acidic vegetables, coffee grinds, wet paper products etc. You will need to buy a worm culture consisting of a couple thousand worms. When you harvest the worms you only want to harvest the baby worms. Leave the adults for breeders. My bins are about four years old and I do keep them outside, but I am in Florida. Other people keep the bins in their basements I am told.
Pat

Mclane
12-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Thank you. Trying to find an alternative to live black worms.

Second Hand Pat
12-19-2014, 09:17 PM
There are other choices. Al who owns this forum sells FD black worms. My fish go wild for them.

Mclane
12-30-2014, 12:15 AM
Al? I'm new. Lol also please help me, I started this thread but now I don't see a place to start a new one. I know that sounds crazy, but I can't find the place to start a new one.

Second Hand Pat
12-30-2014, 12:20 AM
Al is the owner of SimplyDiscus,. His username is brewmaster15. Go to the forum you want to create a thread in and at the top of the page on the left side is a button called "Create a New thread", clicking on it will allow you to enter a title and the first post of the thread.

Mclane
12-30-2014, 12:28 AM
Thank you for always being so kind and helpful.