PDA

View Full Version : Anyone experienced/experiencing Han's wet and dry filter ?

MKD
12-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Hi guys,

I m wondering if anyone is running Hans' Poret Foam filter or had expirienced it. I am ordering some Poret Foams and trying Hans filter set up. I want to see your sump layout (not interested in divider or K1) or inputs.

thank you,

tony

paulW
12-12-2014, 03:37 PM
I have a wet dry filter on my 300g Malawi tank. I use poret as the prefilter, then have the water go over bioballs.
I THINK that Hans just trickles the water over a pile of poret instead of the bioballs? Maybe not, but at least if I make this statement, someone will reply to correct me and give you the right answer lol.

Honestly, I think bioballs is the way to go. Just use Poret as the prefilter (that is so much better than other prefilters I've done). It's more economical, and easier to keep clean (excess biolfilm on the bioballs just falls off and can be cleaned out of the sump, as opposed to washing the poret, which eventually will clog. Poret is not cheap either.

MKD
12-12-2014, 04:09 PM
Thank you Paul and great to know someone on some boat.
He uses spray bar on top of foams and keep it spread out the surface. Don't think bio balls needed on top of foams, i can see it also spread out and more silent :huh: I am thinking to set mine up just like Swisstropical recommanded 2x 4" almost under water and 2" on top. I am feeding bh mixed and afraid 2" 10PPI coarse foam not able catch all go into 4" foams creating problem.

paulW
01-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Sorry for the late update, but I was surfing Youtube and I found a video of Hans doing a water change.
Basically he pumps water out of his sump, and then pumps clean water into the sump with the drain still open to wash out the debris at the bottom of his sump.
I am guessing the rinse water is sprayed over the poret, but I am not 100% certain.
So the point is, he says he never has to remove the poret due to this clever cleaning cycle he has in his water change routine.

I'm sure a solid layer of poret (no bioballs) will work fine, just make sure your sump is set up for easy maintenance.
I periodically take a shop vac and vaccum out the bottom of my sump, because a lot of bioflim and other stuff will drop off to the bottom.
Many people put their sump under their tank stand. That's ok, just make sure you can get to it for maintenance though.
I put my sump behind my tank.. it was actually an accident in design, but I'm so glad I did. It's a lot easier to get to.
Anyhow.. good luck with your filter.

MKD
01-05-2015, 04:03 PM
I watch Han Discus interview video, I don't think it shows that he spray over the poret. He said, he lets water run for couple mins to flush it.

I am wondering anyone take out and rinse 4" poret foam ? and how often?