PDA

View Full Version : First Try using CO2

RodneyL001
12-13-2014, 11:40 PM
I recently setup another tank, 30 gal, I wasn't using. I thought I would broaden my efforts and try to inject some co2 and use some ferts in my substrate. Because the co2 was a new venture, I decided against a DIY setup, and got a cheap unit made by Nutrafin. As I explored the internet one user said the activator they use is nothing but champaigne yeast. Would my experienced co2 users think I could save myself some money by just getting some and use it as my activator?

kris2341
12-14-2014, 01:13 AM
Sounds perfect to me, all those systems essentially use a yeast culture of some kind to produce CO2, as long as you feed it, you are solid. Just make sure your yeast actually takes off.

I'm no chef or brewer but I believe its possible to acquire an actual live yeast culture and not the dry junk, might want to look into it.

rickztahone
12-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Many years back it was very expensive to get co2 in to your fish tank. Now, there are far more options, and if you shop used, you can definitely get things fairly cheap if you build it on your own.

concoa makes some great 2 stage regulators that aren't that expensive, maybe around $60-$80 range. Solenoid, bubble counter, manifold can be had for less than $60 as well. One of the most expensive parts is the needle valve. This is where you do not want to go cheap. I had 3 NV55's on my 3 way manifold a few years back and they are rock solid. Also, they make mouse solenoids now that are very reliable and also not that expensive.

You can also find some fully built ones used from members on plant forums. Some cheap ones can go for arouind $200 or so. Again, it use to cost a lot more because people were limiting themselves to what they could use and trusted. Now, with so many more options out there, you can get stuff cheaper.

There is nothing wrong with DIY, but there is nothing like straight co2 for a fully planted tank. Only drawback? I use to have to RAOK plants every few weeks which was kind of a pain. Other than that, it is just the initial setup cost and after, you just worry about filling up your co2 tank.

Edit:
not sure if you can see for sale threads on Scapeclub.net, but if you can, I was talking about something similar to This (http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthread.php?27104-Victor-Dual-Stage-C02-Regulator-w-3-Metering-Valves).

I had a similar layout for my 2x 10g tanks and my 55g and worked great. The needle valves on that is actually better than the NV55's I had. You can see how doing only 1 output can be a lot cheaper.

That rig is basically ready to go, just add tank, line and reactor or diffuser and you are ready to go.

RodneyL001
12-21-2014, 12:01 AM
rickztahone, that linc wanted me to be a member, when I have a sec I'll join so I can take a look. I want to make sure I have a grasp of everything before I venture into the pressurized units.