PDA

View Full Version : Crossing Thinline Snakeskin x Red Turq?

MKD
12-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Hi All,

I have Female thinline Snakeskin (from Mike B) x Piwow Turq pair up and wondering if anyone has crossed these 2?

thanks,

tony

Rod
12-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Not done that cross specifically, but similar. The snakeskin gene is pretty well known for how it behaves in breeding. You will get about 50/50 snake/turk in the fry. Color and pattern will be highly variable, as is typical for crosses. Personally, i think it sounds like a pretty good crossing, and i would expect you will get plenty of great quality discus from it.

MKD
12-16-2014, 04:19 PM
I hope i'll get some nice pattern out of these 2. i am glad to hear from you Rob.

Rod
12-16-2014, 05:01 PM
No worries Tony. I like the piwows, great looking discus. Good base strain to develop your own discus type from i would think, you will get all sorts of fry. Keep all the nicely shaped ones, then choose for pattern when they grow. You will end up with some beauties for sure.

MKD
12-16-2014, 05:38 PM
I really like the nice and thick piwow jumbo with halo which used to bring in U.S. from Craig. Definitely, want to find out what they'll and will update it.

rickztahone
12-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Let us know what happens Tony :)

kris2341
12-16-2014, 08:11 PM
more local fry? sounds nice!

MKD
12-16-2014, 08:29 PM
absolutely will update it. I am really frustrated that have n't seen piwow eggs for years and a pair of piwow turq.

rickztahone
12-16-2014, 08:30 PM
absolutely will update it. I am really frustrated that have n't seen piwow eggs for years and a pair of piwow turq.

slow learners? lol

MKD
12-16-2014, 08:42 PM
they're shy and old fashion, 1 male and 1 female forever. they're careful pick their own mate l0l

John_Nicholson
12-17-2014, 09:33 AM
I have done tons of SS "crosses" through the years. I use to almost always "cross" blue SS with turqs, and red SS with red turqs. the reason I keep saying "crosses" instead of crosses is that SS is a pattern and not a color. I think of crosses more of when people cross different color types myself.

-john

nc0gnet0
12-17-2014, 09:55 AM
I have done tons of SS "crosses" through the years. I use to almost always "cross" blue SS with turqs, and red SS with red turqs. the reason I keep saying "crosses" instead of crosses is that SS is a pattern and not a color. I think of crosses more of when people cross different color types myself.

-john

:confused:

MKD
12-17-2014, 10:18 AM
I know what he means. I'm in the pattern not color.

John_Nicholson
12-17-2014, 10:36 AM
I know what he means. I'm in the pattern not color.

So does Rick he is just an arse....LOL.

-john

brewmaster15
12-17-2014, 12:56 PM

-john

LOL, Gotta Go with Rick on this one....:confused::confused:

al

brewmaster15
12-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Not done that cross specifically, but similar. The snakeskin gene is pretty well known for how it behaves in breeding. You will get about 50/50 snake/turk in the fry. Color and pattern will be highly variable, as is typical for crosses. Personally, i think it sounds like a pretty good crossing, and i would expect you will get plenty of great quality discus from it.
:thumbsup:

MKD
12-17-2014, 01:29 PM
I am glad to hear from all the Pro. I think they're ready and will more them soon.

So does Rick he is just an arse....LOL.

-john
sorry John, i thought i just clarified what you wrote.

alcastro
12-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Tony congrats, maybe new can swap frys

MKD
12-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks Al, will do

Rod
12-17-2014, 06:22 PM

-john

Interesting thoughts John! And i think you make an important point. That is the snakeskin gene refers to one aspect of the discus, in this case the pattern. Indeed, if you breed them within the color grouping the parents belong to then the fry will look more or less consistent other than the pattern. Shape, base color, secondary colors, fin type, eye color, etc etc will be consistent. This is largely whi i think Tony's choice of breeders is good. Snakes from Malaysia with piwow turks, both nicely patterned with similar concepts, not that radical of a cross i think. Colors will be different between them and will need some work to get them looking consistent, but overall good potential. Nothing a few generations of linebreeding won't sort. :D

kunaldiscus01
03-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Any updates Tony? What were the outcomes of this project?