PDA

View Full Version : Blood Worms to sinking bit and gelatin mix

DriftwoodDavid
12-19-2014, 02:50 AM
Advice needed: i have six discus (3 to 5 inch growing fast) that have transitioned from frozen blood worms to sinking bits and my own cichlid food mixed with a pinch of gelatin. But one who is the top of the bully chain refuses. It's been almost two weeks. ... I know if I put in blood worms he will start eating again.... all the others are eating at least five times a day.
I have tried using garlic as well.
Any advice or tricks to get him to eat?
He is the blue Turquoise
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/18/de15c8e006bb94d3391f3d15087798f6.jpg

DriftwoodDavid
12-19-2014, 04:46 AM
I have six discus of seven that have transitioned from frozen blood worms to sinking bits and my own cichlid food mixed with a pinch of gelatin.
the one on the starvation fast used to be the biggest eater when I fed them frozen blood worms.
It's been almost two weeks.
All the others are eating 5 times per day.
They are all 3 to 5 inches.

DISCUS STU
12-19-2014, 11:03 AM
Have you tried feeding this one blood worms again to see if its just stopped eating entirely?

In my experience I've never seen a healthy, eating fish out of a group that would't transition to a new food if the other fish around it are eating new foods, even wild discus.

DriftwoodDavid
12-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Yes...Each time I give up on the fasting schedule he gobbles up more blood worms....Then I feel I lost the time spent starving him.
He also hangs out right where I normally fed the blood worms.
He appears healthy just slower and less dominant with the other Discus (he is the top of the bully chain).

DriftwoodDavid
12-20-2014, 01:32 AM
Well...the hunger strike was broken today...I notice him eating when I was not standing right over the tank...But the consequences of his hunger strike dropped him from the top of the pecking order. He is now being chased during feeding times...

DISCUS STU
12-21-2014, 07:22 PM
They'll sort it out among themselves. At least he's learned from the others how to go for other food.

Reesj
01-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Wow man I also set-up a new tank with discus(2.5 inc lot)and the bully is the blue Turquoise one like yours. He is way too aggressive even though not the biggest and when I remove him other blue Turquoise takes his place though don;t haras the others a lot! Maybe its a thing with that strain!