PDA

View Full Version : How should I add RO water to my breeder tanks?

DonMD
12-19-2014, 10:15 AM
I just set up an R/O system because my water service changed and I could no longer breed fish due to the high TDS content. So now I have to figure out the best way to add the R/O water to my 29 gallon breeder tank. Here's my situation:

Current tank water: 330 ppm TDS, pH 7.4
Current R/O water: 0 ppm TDS, pH 6.4

In my 29 gallon tank that currently has a proven pair, if I drain 20 gallons, then add 20 gallons of pure R/O, I'd end up with about 110 ppm TDS, which is better than what I was breeding in before. But I'm concerned about the drop in pH. Would that be harmful to the fish?

Thanks, -Don

Bill63SG
12-19-2014, 11:06 AM
I mix my tds in the storage barrel which is aerated.I use RO Right.I used to mix in my tap,but this made it easier for me to get it more precise because my tap can fluctuate.By doing your water changes this way you can get that tds down in a few days with no ph swing.

Second Hand Pat
12-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Don, I agree with Bill about mixing your RO and tap or re-min in a WC barrel. It was suggested to me to drop the TDS no more then 50 ppm when I first started to introduce RO water to my wild tanks. Personally I would be leery about dropping the TDS by 100 for one WC.

DonMD
12-19-2014, 12:05 PM
I mix my tds in the storage barrel which is aerated.I use RO Right.I used to mix in my tap,but this made it easier for me to get it more precise because my tap can fluctuate.By doing your water changes this way you can get that tds down in a few days with no ph swing.

Thanks, Bill. When you say you mix your tds in the storage barrel, does that mean you adjust the R/O water by adding RO right? You add the RO right to pure R/O water to bring up the tds to where you want it, is that right?

DonMD
12-19-2014, 12:06 PM
It was suggested to me to drop the TDS no more then 50 ppm when I first started to introduce RO water to my wild tanks. Personally I would be leery about dropping the TDS by 100 for one WC.

Thanks, Pat, that's really good to know.

Second Hand Pat
12-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Don, I agree with Bill about mixing your RO and tap or re-min in a WC barrel. It was suggested to me to drop the TDS no more then 50 ppm when I first started to introduce RO water to my wild tanks. Personally I would be leery about dropping the TDS by 100 for one WC.

Thanks, Pat, that's really good to know.

Don, I do not know if dropping the TDS by 100 ppm is harmful to the fish. It may depend on the ph change during the WC. Also if using a re-min product I will think you would want to ensure it is well mixed in the water. I have never used a re-min product myself but back when I had a marine tank I mixed the marine salt and water a full 24 hours or until the water was clear.

DonMD
12-19-2014, 01:05 PM
What is a re-min product? Adding minerals back? If that's so, why not just mix the RO with my city water which is at 330ppm? That's got minerals in it.

Andy27012
12-19-2014, 01:18 PM
You can add tap water back to your ro water but you have to figure out your ratio and then hope that your tds in tap water is fairly consistent. You also run the risk of fluctuating ph unless you intend on aging your water prior to using it.

Bill63SG
12-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Thanks, Bill. When you say you mix your tds in the storage barrel, does that mean you adjust the R/O water by adding RO right? You add the RO right to pure R/O water to bring up the tds to where you want it, is that right?

Yes.I add the RO right into the storage barrel,or re-min.Also like I said,I did use tap,but mine fluctuates,especially from summer to winter.i know for one of my brute barrels,almost empty,it takes about 1-1/4tsp of ro right to get me to around 60tds.

Wes
12-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Bill, your saying to Remineralization your RO right?
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?103814-DIY-Remineralization-for-RO-Water

Larry Grenier
12-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Don,

Have you considered just slowing changing the ratio of tap to RO in you storage container over time? That way the pH swing during a large water minimized and spread-out over a longer period of time.

DonMD
12-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Don,

Have you considered just slowing changing the ratio of tap to RO in you storage container over time? That way the pH swing during a large water minimized and spread-out over a longer period of time.

Larry, I'm not going to put RO in my storage tank, since I use that for four other tanks that do not require RO water. Grow outs, quarantine, and show tanks all do very well in the high TDS, so no sense using RO there. I now have a separate 35 gallon storage tank just for RO. So I've got to find my own way of mixing RO with city water for my breeders. I appreciate your comments, and those of everyone else, they help. -Don

In fact, I only plan on using the RO just long enough for the male to fertilize the eggs. Once they're fertile, I'll go back to city water.

Bill63SG
12-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Larry, I'm not going to put RO in my storage tank, since I use that for four other tanks that do not require RO water. Grow outs, quarantine, and show tanks all do very well in the high TDS, so no sense using RO there. I now have a separate 35 gallon storage tank just for RO. So I've got to find my own way of mixing RO with city water for my breeders. I appreciate your comments, and those of everyone else, they help. -Don

In fact, I only plan on using the RO just long enough for the male to fertilize the eggs. Once they're fertile, I'll go back to city water.

I switch over to tap once they start wiggling.

Bill63SG
12-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Bill, your saying to Remineralization your RO right?
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?103814-DIY-Remineralization-for-RO-Water

Im no scientist,but Jeff has given me his mixture before.For me to get my ro where I want it,it takes 1 1/4 tsp of ro rite,and 1 1/2 of the mixture Jeff use's.