PDA

View Full Version : Hey Coffee Lovers!

brewmaster15
12-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Sitting here sipping a cup of Joe, got me wondering about Coffee.. I do enjoy my green teas, but I am still a coffee fiend through and through. So whats your favorite Coffee? Are you a Grind and brew your own?

Star bucks mocha cococolatte whatever person? Do you go for french roast, columbian,etc. Where do you get your java when on the road? The local donut shop?

For me, I like a rich coffee, french roast if its already ground, and if I grind it myself, I really enjoy beans from costa rica. We don't have too many good coffee shops here, just starbucks, which I don't care for their coffee, My local supermarket , BigY carries a decent select of coffee beans under their name. They also carry a more commercial brand..Peetes Coffee(beans or ground) which I really enjoy as well.

And for that coffee for the road...Duncan Donuts are everywhere... but I don't like their coffee either..have to say, sadly the best out here is McDonalds Coffee, Newmans variety I guess. Its probably the best thing Mcdonalds makes!

I don't take my coffee with much in it...no sugar, maybe a splash of milk or black. Espresso would be black maybe some sambuca if after dinner:o

How about you?

al

Tony_S
12-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Coffee snob here....Too many to list em all. Here's a couple.

http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/home

and

http://www.saltspringcoffee.com/

Go dark or go home.

Hope you have an awesome new year bud!

brewmaster15
12-29-2014, 09:39 AM
Coffee snob here....Too many to list em all. Here's a couple.

http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/home

and

http://www.saltspringcoffee.com/

Go dark or go home.

Hope you have an awesome new year bud!
Still waiting for you to get discus again Tony...Hope all is well and oh yeah,,, still waiting on that case bud!:)
al

Disgirl
12-29-2014, 09:51 AM
I love coffee too Al. My favorite is Hazelnut, with half and half and some sweetener. I just got a bag of Panera Bread Hazelnut at Harris Teeter, my favorite so far. But I like other flavors too. I can grind my own, but use my Keurig with the attachment that I can do my own ground coffee in. Works great. Think I will go have some more now...
Barb

Second Hand Pat
12-29-2014, 10:32 AM
I have been a coffee drinker since I was like 12...and with cream and sugar. I didn't much care for favored coffee but do love cuban coffee :D Really do drink too much of the stuff.
Pat

brewmaster15
12-29-2014, 10:40 AM
cuban coffee? Where do you get that Pat? I don't think I have ever seen that up here in CT.

-al

Second Hand Pat
12-29-2014, 10:50 AM
We have lots of family owned Cuban restaurants here Al. If you ever make it down this way I will take you to one. Cuban sandwiches are another favorite.

Altum Nut
12-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Hi...my name is Ralph and I'm addicted to coffee.
Been drinking the stuff since I was a kid with milk and Milano lady-finger cookies. Al knows what I talking about...it's that Italian growing up tradition. Today I still love the stuff but needs to be dark roast. At times there will be espresso left over and my wife tells me hours later if I want that driveway sealer. The darker the better.....
I will however have a Raspberry-Chocolate truffle K-Cup from time to time.
MacDonald's coffee would also be my pick when on the road.

...Ralph

brewmaster15
12-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Milano lady-finger cookies. good stuff...:)

YSS
12-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Starbucks is the only place I'll pay for coffee. Bold and black is the best and sometime with a shot of espresso. At home, I drink Harmony Bay Hazelnut as it's my wife's favorite and I like it as well. Only time I will put anything in my coffee is when I have Cortado. Don't use French press at home, but when we go camping, it can't be beat.

ZX10R
12-29-2014, 02:19 PM
Seattle's Best #4 with Coffee Mate Coconut Creamer

rickztahone
12-29-2014, 02:57 PM
I've tried to get in to drinking coffee so many times, but I could not acquire the taste. Are there any that you guys would recommend that may be different than the regular cup of joes I've tried? Or where I can go purchase some in a coffee store? I've tried starbucks and didn't like any of those...

brewmaster15
12-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Ricardo,
Are you a tea drinker? If so what kind? How about wine? Red white sweet or dry?.beer...lager or ale?..last question..chocolate...milk or semi sweet dark?

Al

jim_shedden
12-29-2014, 04:55 PM
Hi Al......straight black, no cream, no sugar, dark french roast.
Jim

Discus-n00b
12-29-2014, 05:18 PM
I've tried to get in to drinking coffee so many times, but I could not acquire the taste. Are there any that you guys would recommend that may be different than the regular cup of joes I've tried? Or where I can go purchase some in a coffee store? I've tried starbucks and didn't like any of those...

I'm pretty much the same. Never really drink it, and usually don't have a need for the extra boost though some days it might be nice. However I do LOVE the smell of it and if I do drink it I need it loaded, can't take it black. The closest I came to a regular use was my time in the Marines, the small packs in the MREs, was great on long field ops or deployment when you needed to stay awake. On the very rare occasions I go into Starbucks I feel overwhelmed, lost, and confused on what/how to order.

Al have you ever had the opportunity to go down to Costa Rica and get it fresh? Was my first time actually seeing it on the tree and its EVERYWHERE! Fields and fields of it, people's backyards, roadsides, some hotels even have trees out front. Seeing the process from tree to cup is pretty interesting.

Tankster
12-29-2014, 05:24 PM
To me, 7-11 or the Shell station will do just fine. I am not really drinking it for the flavor but rather the caffeine, and in the winter, warmth.

Keith Perkins
12-29-2014, 05:38 PM
I'll drink Starbuck's if it's one of their lighter blends, but I'm sure no Starbuck's snob. Properly buy more Kwik Trip coffee than anything, any good to slightly bold coffee will do it for me. Will take on most flavors as well...love coconut. A little half and half on occasion, usually a touch of milk. Usually grind our own, but drink plenty of pre-ground flavors etc. as well. I have to drink a half pot or more a day.

Costa Rican is good, like some Mexican, Jamaican Blue Mountain, Kona.

rickztahone
12-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Ricardo,
Are you a tea drinker? If so what kind? How about wine? Red white sweet or dry?.beer...lager or ale?..last question..chocolate...milk or semi sweet dark?

Al
-Only drink tea when sick.
-Wine - my wife rarely drinks, but when she does, she drinks wine, typically red wine and typically Stella Rosa. That is what I will typically drink with her and I don't mind the taste of that specific wine. However, I have not tried a white wine I have liked to date. I don't like overly sweet wine though, I have come to that conclusion. After a while, the sweetness messes with my throat.
-Beer - now beer, I like :). I typically drink Heineken as my main beer but typically like more bitter beers than anything. I'll drink a corona or modelo if available, but rather not drink that to be honest. I do like drinking speciality beers as well, as well as seasonal ones, so long as it isn't fruity :)
- Chocolate - I may be a rarity here but I typically do not like chocolate. If I do have some now and then, I suppose I would prefer milk. That is kind of evenly split though.

As you can tell, I am not very decisive with my palate lol

I'm pretty much the same. Never really drink it, and usually don't have a need for the extra boost though some days it might be nice. However I do LOVE the smell of it and if I do drink it I need it loaded, can't take it black. The closest I came to a regular use was my time in the Marines, the small packs in the MREs, was great on long field ops or deployment when you needed to stay awake. On the very rare occasions I go into Starbucks I feel overwhelmed, lost, and confused on what/how to order.

Al have you ever had the opportunity to go down to Costa Rica and get it fresh? Was my first time actually seeing it on the tree and its EVERYWHERE! Fields and fields of it, people's backyards, roadsides, some hotels even have trees out front. Seeing the process from tree to cup is pretty interesting.

That sounds like a cool thing to google ;). Thanks Matt.

brewmaster15
12-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Hi Al......straight black, no cream, no sugar, dark french roast.
Jim

MY GD! Theres a blast from the Past! First Tony, now Jim! If I'd have known I'd get a post out of you guys I'd have started this thread alot sooner! :) Just kidding...Great hearing from you Jim! Hope you have been well my friend!

al

brewmaster15
12-29-2014, 07:58 PM

Matt, Its on one of my places to visit...I almost moved there after the college..a fellow biologist and I .. He went, I stayed . I have raised coffee plants though, We have a greenhouse here in CT, called Logees that has it growing, and I used to keep a plant of it.. I'm actually going there tomorrow if all goes well, I'll see if I can snap a pic while there.

brewmaster15
12-29-2014, 08:05 PM
-Only drink tea when sick.
-Wine - my wife rarely drinks, but when she does, she drinks wine, typically red wine and typically Stella Rosa. That is what I will typically drink with her and I don't mind the taste of that specific wine. However, I have not tried a white wine I have liked to date. I don't like overly sweet wine though, I have come to that conclusion. After a while, the sweetness messes with my throat.
-Beer - now beer, I like :). I typically drink Heineken as my main beer but typically like more bitter beers than anything. I'll drink a corona or modelo if available, but rather not drink that to be honest. I do like drinking speciality beers as well, as well as seasonal ones, so long as it isn't fruity :)
- Chocolate - I may be a rarity here but I typically do not like chocolate. If I do have some now and then, I suppose I would prefer milk. That is kind of evenly split though.

As you can tell, I am not very decisive with my palate lol

Ricardo, I have put all your data in the Coffee-a-tron 5000 and its given me a list of coffees for you to try...

- Central american coffee, something with a medium roast, not french roast.. It suggests Costa Rican Coffee, or Guatemalan. It also suggest you go with whole milk , not creamer, or skim milk, and finally it says you may or may not like 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sugar.

There you have it. The Coffee-a-tron 5000 has never been wrong . Any decent beanery should be able to fill that prescription.:bandana:

-al

Bud Smith
12-30-2014, 05:42 AM
Just give me some good fresh black coffee and add some Baileys french vanilla and I am happy

Northwoods Discus
12-30-2014, 09:43 AM
My wife and I are coffee nuts. On the road we get our coffee at Biggby's in MI. Do not really care for Starbucks. For Xmas we got a super automatic espresso machine. Did I say we really love coffee. We can make espresso, all the milk based drinks and regular cafe americano. Don't have to stop at the coffee shop on the way to work anymore.
Our daughter bought us some syrups, salted caramel, vanilla, and hazelnut. I like the flavored stuff occasionally but generally a good strong black coffee is best.
When we went to Kauai we went to the coffee plantation and saw the coffee bushes. Kona coffee and lots of samples to try, we were in heaven.

brewmaster15
12-30-2014, 10:28 AM
Theres a really cool story here on the History of Coffee ...

http://www.talkaboutcoffee.com/history.html

and like in all things Nature... There is always another organism that lives off another...
http://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/intropp/lessons/fungi/Basidiomycetes/Pages/CoffeeRust.aspx

Thats a good read as it explains alot about the genetic origins of coffee.... Pay careful attention to

One distressing development in coffee breeding has been the dramatic loss of genetic diversity among the wild Coffea species. There is very little genetic diversity in coffee outside the tropical forests in southwestern Ethiopia, where Coffea evolved. Because of logging, fuelwood harvest, and expanded cultivation driven by a growing human population, these forests have been reduced to less than one-tenth their original size. Ethiopia's Institute of Biodiversity Conservation and Research is struggling to hang on to what is left, and the Ethiopian government has prohibited the export of coffee plants and coffee seed from the country.

The reason we have coffee today is largely because of the genetic diversity in wild coffee.. Thats where we get resistant genes to these kinds of diseases....

Anyhow, some light reading to go with your cup of Joe.

al

Carolina discus
12-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Hi Al,
Had to comment on this one...I am the coffe sissy and Cathy is the coffee "queen" LOL...I only drink vanilla ice coffee with LOTS of creame year round ...Cathy gets the darkest, strongest coffe at a local shop where we get all our beans called "Zombie fuel" (its a surper dark sumatra roast) ...its is bought whole bean, ground fresh each morning (usually by me when I make it for her) and brewed in a french press....the "mud water" is then poured in a huge mug and no creame and sugar is used...straight black. I tried it once and I had to hide under a table for a few hours it was so scarey.

Wine...now thats a WHOLE different topic...lol

brewmaster15
12-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Hi Al,
Had to comment on this one...I am the coffe sissy and Cathy is the coffee "queen" LOL...I only drink vanilla ice coffee with LOTS of creame year round ...Cathy gets the darkest, strongest coffe at a local shop where we get all our beans called "Zombie fuel" (its a surper dark sumatra roast) ...its is bought whole bean, ground fresh each morning (usually by me when I make it for her) and brewed in a french press....the "mud water" is then poured in a huge mug and no creame and sugar is used...straight black. I tried it once and I had to hide under a table for a few hours it was so scarey.

Wine...now thats a WHOLE different topic...lol

lol!...I am the coffe sissy and Cathy is the coffee "queen" LOL...I only drink vanilla ice coffee with LOTS of creame year round

OC Discus
12-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Im a Starbucks addict. Sumatra is my favorite. It is a dark roast with supposedly less acid. Two strong mugs in the AM and 3 shots of espresso after lunch. Just one artificial sweetener. I make it too strong to drink black. Tried the blond roast without sweetener, but went back to bold.

On the road, if starbucks is not available, I go for the cold Starbucks double shot drinks found in convenience stores. My wife and I have separate coffee pots.

pauline
12-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Just give me some good fresh black coffee and add some Baileys french vanilla and I am happy

That's exactly what I enjoy.

smallchange
12-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Hi Al........ Café Santo Domingo. Black

rickztahone
12-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Ricardo, I have put all your data in the Coffee-a-tron 5000 and its given me a list of coffees for you to try...

- Central american coffee, something with a medium roast, not french roast.. It suggests Costa Rican Coffee, or Guatemalan. It also suggest you go with whole milk , not creamer, or skim milk, and finally it says you may or may not like 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sugar.

There you have it. The Coffee-a-tron 5000 has never been wrong . Any decent beanery should be able to fill that prescription.:bandana:

-al

Al, can I get a picture of that Coffee-a-tron 5000 rig? LOL. I will give those a try my friend.

alcastro
12-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Hi AL
I had my first cup at my first real job when i was 21 years old, i was pressured to it by the seniors mechanics bin hooked ever since, i remember whe i was ten years old visited my dad 's coffee fields in EL SAlvador , coffee as far as my eyes could see and the smell of it roasting good memories, Ricardo you should try some Salvadorien coffee if you could find it, McDodalds or 7-eleven is what i drink now not to dark ,little cream and sugar.
AL

rickztahone
12-31-2014, 12:19 AM
Hi AL
I had my first cup at my first real job when i was 21 years old, i was pressured to it by the seniors mechanics bin hooked ever since, i remember whe i was ten years old visited my dad 's coffee fields in EL SAlvador , coffee as far as my eyes could see and the smell of it roasting good memories, Ricardo you should try some Salvadorien coffee if you could find it, McDodalds or 7-eleven is what i drink now not to dark ,little cream and sugar.
AL

I will also give this a try ;-)

brewmaster15
12-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Hi AL
AL
That sounds like an awesome Memory Al! I haven't had Salvadorian Coffee yet, but I will be sure to try some when I can find it.:)

Jason F
12-31-2014, 05:52 PM
I've been a coffee drinker for about 20 years now. Darker roasts such as French or Colombian are my staple but I enjoy trying other roast from time to time. I used to drink all day long and consume bare minimum a pot of coffee a day but over the last few years it's more like one to maybe two cups a day and only in the mornings, with the occasional exception when I'm out and about and someone want to stop at a coffee house. I also used to dilute my coffee down with sugar or creamers but now I prefer it black. I usually buy whole beans and grind them in my burr grinder, that my fiancee bought me for fathers day, while my waters heating up. I have a standard coffee maker, two french presses, a Keurig which again my fiancee bought but doesn't get used much, and two single cup drip conical filters. Since I'm the only one in the house to drink coffee I usually use the single drip method. I've also had a few espresso makers over the years however don't have one right now. As for coffee shops Starbucks is ok but I prefer Tully's or locally owned and my drink of choice here is usually a triple grande vanilla latte.

brewmaster15
12-31-2014, 07:03 PM
I've been a coffee drinker for about 20 years now. Darker roasts such as French or Colombian are my staple but I enjoy trying other roast from time to time. I used to drink all day long and consume bare minimum a pot of coffee a day but over the last few years it's more like one to maybe two cups a day and only in the mornings, with the occasional exception when I'm out and about and someone want to stop at a coffee house. I also used to dilute my coffee down with sugar or creamers but now I prefer it black. I usually buy whole beans and grind them in my burr grinder, that my fiancee bought me for fathers day, while my waters heating up. I have a standard coffee maker, two french presses, a Keurig which again my fiancee bought but doesn't get used much, and two single cup drip conical filters. Since I'm the only one in the house to drink coffee I usually use the single drip method. I've also had a few espresso makers over the years however don't have one right now. As for coffee shops Starbucks is ok but I prefer Tully's or locally owned and my drink of choice here is usually a triple grande vanilla latte.

Cool Jason, I used to drink it alot more to.. when I was in college and working myself thru it, I needed that java boost intravenous..Had to be at least 9-10 cups day starting at 4 am and into the late evening. I even had a Pin.. "coffee is God" I proudly wore back then.
Now I drink 2 -3 cups of coffee a day.. and about the same in Green tea.

-al

brewmaster15
12-31-2014, 07:08 PM
Heres a t-shirt for the coffee lovers...

get it here...
http://www.northernsun.com/Coffee-Worship-T-Shirt-%281498%29.html

Its on my list.

al

rickztahone
12-31-2014, 08:14 PM
That is a lot of coffee being drank :). I'm assuming a good chunk of change gets set aside for the coffee fairy?

OC Discus
12-31-2014, 10:07 PM
I pay about $8 per bag of ground Starbucks Sumatra at Walmart. Each empty bag is good for a free cup at Starbucks, putting the cost at $6 per bag. I have a grinder but got tired of doing it every day.

Driftwood Mike
01-01-2015, 01:42 AM
Kona or Jamaican Blue, whole beans rule!

brewmaster15
02-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Bump this up as I am enjoying a real good cup of java right now..

My wife and I have recently rediscovered our Love of good coffee. I got her a small manual French press coffee maker and hand grinder for the holidays , and picked up simple metal sieve for one cuppers for myself. We grind the darker roasts and use those... Absolutely delicious. Though we normally buy low fat milk,for cereals etc.. for the coffee, we usually add evaporated milk. Works like creamer without all the crude they put in it. Many times I will drink it straight up black as well, depend on my mood.

Coffee lovers out there?

al

Jenene
02-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Bump this up as I am enjoying a real good cup of java right now..

My wife and I have recently rediscovered our Love of good coffee. I got her a small manual French press coffee maker and hand grinder for the holidays , and picked up simple metal sieve for one cuppers for myself. We grind the darker roasts and use those... Absolutely delicious. Though we normally buy low fat milk,for cereals etc.. for the coffee, we usually add evaporated milk. Works like creamer without all the crude they put in it. Many times I will drink it straight up black as well, depend on my mood.

Coffee lovers out there?

al

Wow Al, this was a random thread! I too am enjoying a cup as I write this. School break week is flying by so here I am. Enjoying my coffee with you. We have some really good coffee roasters here in Rochester. My favorite is called Finger Lakes Coffee and they do a really nice Jamaican Me Crazy. A bit nutty but not overwhelming. They have a nice selection of beans whole or they will grind them for you. You can also sit in and have a cup there.

My husband coined a phrase for the really strong coffee he likes- he calls it "savage fee".

My favorite on the road coffee (believe it or not) is from the Fastrak gas stations. Not sure if you have them there but ours have machines that grind each cup fresh on the spot. I love their Columbian. I can buy a cup, drive to school, work all day and get back in my car and still smell the freshly ground coffee! The cup has long since been consumed and thrown away but the glorious scent remains. You know how coffee usually smells better than it tastes? This tastes as good as it smells.

So yes, here's to you Al, and your morning cup of savage fee- enjoy!:coffee:

brewmaster15
02-23-2017, 11:50 AM
LOl Thanks Jenene!:) Right back at you!

Fastrak gas stations. Not sure if you have them there but ours have machines that grind each cup fresh on the spot Now thats what I call innovative! We don't have any near me, but I would love it if they did!

al

RogueDiscus
02-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Having my first mug as I write. We in the northwest are known for our coffee. I drink Sumatran French roast, black. We have our own grinder and use the cone drip method. There are also coffee stands all over the place here. My favorite chain in town is called The Human Bean.

Clawhammer
02-23-2017, 12:28 PM
I couldn't keep up with the water change schedule without coffee!!

Lido
02-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Coffee is the catalyst which holds my morning together. I appreciate many different types of coffee. One of my favorite is Vietnamese coffee. I prefer bold, "strong like bull" coffee. I actually really like espresso too. I have read quite a few posts on here about Starbuks and I have to let you in on a secret. They get their "consistency of flavor" for that "Starbuks taste" by overroasting their beans WAYYY to much. So their signature is "burnt" lol. They just cover it up with all sorts of fancy flavors and tchotchkes they add to the coffee.

If you ever get a chance to try a place called 7 Leaves in Southern California, their coffee is incredible. There are a few of them around. They're growing quickly.