PDA

View Full Version : Best way to lower ph?

archiebellacoco
12-30-2014, 05:17 AM
I know everyone says not to mess with the ph unless breeding but I would like my discus to breed eventually..
So what's the best way to get the ph to a good level
I am at 7.2 at the moment after putting some driftwood in the tank but my tap water has a ph of 7.4
Are almond leaves any good? Not too keen on peat moss as I don't see the point when it goes bad and I'm doing constant water changes??
Would appreciate any ideas or suggestions

I have juvenile discus 7cm

Second Hand Pat
12-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Hi Jess, as far as breeding is concerned the softness or GH of the water is what you need to pay attention to. You want to aim for a GH of about 70 ppm or 4 degreeGH (1 degree is 17.9 ppm). Since your discus are still juvies I would not worry about the water until you have an actual pair and best to see if they can produce fry in your water before changing anything with your water.
Pat

John_Nicholson
12-30-2014, 09:31 AM
As Pat said ph has very little to do with getting them to spawn. The will spawn in high ph and in hard water the eggs simply will not hatch. The most natural thing for any healthy animal to do is to spawn. If they are not spawning already then it points to them not being as healthy as they need to be, being too young, being too old, or being all males.

-john

scottthomas
12-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Your ph is fine for breeding discus