PDA

View Full Version : Hey Wine Lovers...

brewmaster15
12-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Figured why not ask this too ( here you go Eric!)

I admit it I am a wine a snob.. I like my red wines, I absolutely go nuts for Cabernet Franc and a well aged Barolo . My wife and I enjoy visit all the local vineyards here. She is the white wine drinker... me, I am all about Reds. If I was rich, I'd have a wineroom as well as a fish room.

I have made my own wine in the past with cabernet franc grapes I have growing here.

So whats your wine passions everyone!

-al

nc0gnet0
12-30-2014, 11:45 AM
I love wine, reds, but my taste is anything but sophisticated....... I prefer the sweet reds and like the ones produced here in Michigan on the Leelanau Pennisula, have taken a few tours there as well, absolutely stunning scenery up there.

http://www.lpwines.com/explore-the-leelanau-peninsula-wine-trail/

YSS
12-30-2014, 12:09 PM
I enjoy drinking wine, but not a snob. I like full bodied Cab or oaky Chardonnay. Also, like everything in between as long as it's not too sweet. But I love Vintage Port. That's my #1 seed. Unfortunately, too expensive to enjoy everyday....

dmun24
01-04-2015, 04:18 PM
I like agood cab and most other reds dennis

brewmaster15
01-04-2015, 05:36 PM
I like agood cab and most other reds dennis
And a good cigar?:) Been a very long time Dennis! Hope you have been well!

Al

rickztahone
01-04-2015, 06:47 PM
And a good cigar?:) Been a very long time Dennis! Hope you have been well!

Al

Man Al, you are just pulling them from the woodwork lol.

brewmaster15
01-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Man Al, you are just pulling them from the woodwork lol.

Ive had the opportunity to know a great many very fine hobbyist and the pleasure to becoming friends with some of them. :)

Jason F
01-04-2015, 11:51 PM
I've tried a few time to learn more about wine but I always fall back to beer as I'm a complete hop head. I've been a homebrewer for 7 or 8 years and from time to time make my own wine. I make them from kits and usually get 24-28 bottles each batch which is really good since some of the kits I've made only cost around $80. I'm actually in the process of making the wine that will be served at my wedding later this year.

Cevoe
01-05-2015, 02:59 PM
I also like the reds best but still keep trying whites to find one to like.
Stags Leap Chardonnay, for example.
Lately I've been getting into Pinot Noirs and found two good ones at around $20.00 each....Napa Cellars and Josh.
My favorite Cab is Silver Oak but it's too pricey for me these days.
Nothing better than a table with friends/family, wine, cheese, soppressetta, prosciutto, olives.....you get the idea.
There are also a lot of cigars that I like but that would be a long conversation to have over wine and cigars.

drondy
01-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Hi folks, many of you don't know me but in addition to loving this hobby of keeping Discus, in real life I am a Certified Sommelier. I own my own wine retail store here in Oxford Michigan www.oxfordwineonline.com and have the opportunity to travel the world and meet with some of the nicest winemakers in the world. I just got back from Bordeaux where we took 20 customers to visit some wonderful Chateaus and take a 7 day cruise within Bordeaux.

All that said, my favorite wines come from the Rhone region of France. If you have never had the chance to taste these wines, you should try one the next time you go to your local wine shop.

Cheers, Dean

Freshisbetter
01-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Barbera is my favorite red grape to have around the house for sipping with or without food as a value priced table wine. The pricey ones are great IMO too.

I was just up in the wine regions of Northern Michigan this past week. Too cold for wineries for my wife and I but we made it to a local distillery up there to warm ourselves up.

Great topic for a cold spell many of us are enjoying right now.

brewmaster15
01-06-2015, 12:19 PM
I've tried a few time to learn more about wine but I always fall back to beer as I'm a complete hop head. I've been a homebrewer for 7 or 8 years and from time to time make my own wine. I make them from kits and usually get 24-28 bottles each batch which is really good since some of the kits I've made only cost around $80. I'm actually in the process of making the wine that will be served at my wedding later this year.

I've only made a few wines here.... most of what I have made is my homebrew ales, stouts and Honey Meads. I hope your wine turns out great for the wedding! Looking back, I should have brewed the beer for mine!:)

al

brewmaster15
01-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Hi folks, many of you don't know me but in addition to loving this hobby of keeping Discus, in real life I am a Certified Sommelier. I own my own wine retail store here in Oxford Michigan www.oxfordwineonline.com and have the opportunity to travel the world and meet with some of the nicest winemakers in the world. I just got back from Bordeaux where we took 20 customers to visit some wonderful Chateaus and take a 7 day cruise within Bordeaux.

All that said, my favorite wines come from the Rhone region of France. If you have never had the chance to taste these wines, you should try one the next time you go to your local wine shop.

Cheers, Dean

Thats awesome!:) I always thought about trying to get certified as a Sommelier...Thats a big accomplishment. I like my wines, but you need to really have a passion for it. I looked at your website. Man, you have got it down.....Great wine, Cigars and Coffee all in one spot. I might have to take a vacation to Michigan Just to visit your store!:)

I've had several wines from the Rhone Region of France, I think my favorites from France are Châteauneuf-du-Pape. I don't get them often, but I have always enjoyed them.

al

brewmaster15
01-06-2015, 12:29 PM
.......Nothing better than a table with friends/family, wine, cheese, soppressetta, prosciutto, olives.....you get the idea.
There are also a lot of cigars that I like but that would be a long conversation to have over wine and cigars.

I definetly get the idea Chris! What time should I be there? :)

al

brewmaster15
01-06-2015, 12:36 PM
So, I have some great news. I've been going to CT vineyards now for a long time.. back then there was only a handful...Now there are many. Its become the in thing to do here. Which is great for winelovers. CT is a small state, and We have a couple of vineyards pretty close to our house. Some offer beautiful views and scenic vineyards, but the wine is just so so.. This past weekend we had a vineyard open thats literally a mile away...I could walk there and stumble back:) and the vineyards wines were excellent. They have alot of work to do as its just opened, and the main building hasn't been built yet, But I am really thrilled that this vineyard, Rosabianca, opened up.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rosabianca-Vineyards/799336346752518

The wine was great, and the owner and his family are so welcoming and friendly..It was truly a pleasure! I'll tell you though, its DANGEROUS having a vineyard so close...almost as bad as if I owned a wine shop like Dean!

al

zimmjeff
01-06-2015, 09:36 PM
That's like living next to Hans. Jeff

drondy
01-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Al, you are welcome to stop by any time. The king of the Rhone is CDP as you stated and I have never had anyone state that they do not like those wines. If you ever get a chance to visit there, make sure you observe the vineyards and the stones they grow in.