PDA

View Full Version : Python Growing Algae

Jason F
01-02-2015, 09:59 PM
I've always done water changes via the bucket method but when I was looking to get into discus I decided it would be best to try another method. Seeing as I now have a 75g with 8 PBs I'm growing out that gets about a 90% water change nightly along with my other two non discus tanks that get weekly water changes I've decided the python system is the best thing since sliced bread, with one exception. Since it's getting used at least once a day it never has time to completely dry. Because of this a film of algae has formed in the hose and when I start pumping water back to the tank it peels off in chunks and instead of having a nice clean tank I have dozens of these chucks floating around. I highly doubt they're doing any harm but it just irritates me. I have a little cleaning brush for my canister pump hosing but nothing that would make it through the 75 foot hose. Any solutions or is it just a downside to the system?

Bill63SG
01-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Its a downside.Every now and then I fill a 5gal bucket and add some bleach to it,and suck it thru my python and it helps clean it out.If you can take the bucket to where your python is discharging and place it underneath,so it is recycling some of its bleach water to get a longer clean-time instead of just empting the bucket with the python.

Jason F
01-05-2015, 12:53 AM
I suppose that would work but I'm kind of leery about using bleach on anything that comes in contact with the water in my tanks.

fishaddict
01-05-2015, 02:11 AM
I place a fine mesh net to catch these "flakes" as the water enters the tank.

sd86tlam
01-05-2015, 05:12 AM
I suppose that would work but I'm kind of leery about using bleach on anything that comes in contact with the water in my tanks.

After bleaching it, connect the python back to the faucet. Let the water run through it and down the sink for 10-15 mins.

If you are familiar with planted tanks and the CO2 dispensers, you will see that after awhile, the dispensers will have algae all over their surface. What we usually do is to dip the dispensers in bleach solution, let them sit there for about a day or two until all the algae is gone. We then dip them in clean water with water conditioner for another day. Everything then will be good for going back to the tank.

You can't use the same method for the giant 75 foot python, so letting the water run through and rinse it is the only applicable solution I can think of. Others may have better ideas.

Bill63SG
01-05-2015, 07:45 AM
Your running water thru it,it goes away,plus when you use your de-chlor,that would take care of any residue.

Jason F
01-05-2015, 08:02 AM
All my water is run through carbon blocks and aged so I'm not using prime or anything else.

jim LI
01-05-2015, 11:52 AM
I use a separate hose for my water changes then use the python to fill the tank from the tap.

jim

pitdogg2
01-05-2015, 08:24 PM
You can't use the same method for the giant 75 foot python, so letting the water run through and rinse it is the only applicable solution I can think of. Others may have better ideas.

place in bathtub with bleach and super hot water then rinse and air dry. Then use a little extra prime or something. I bleach in my bathtub with super hot water with my wood then put right back in the tank after a rinse and then double my Prime. Been doing this a loooooong time I have yet to lose a fish because of my method.
my .02