PDA

View Full Version : Spawning Discus

JimGress
01-04-2015, 11:17 AM
For the fourth weekend in a row, my discus have laid eggs on the filter tube. It is just a 45 gallon high with 4 discus in it I have had up for about a year and a half. I also have a couple Corey Cats and a Pleco. For the last three Sundays they have spawned hundreds of eggs only to eat them on the third day. Now yesterday they have spawned quite a few more. Then the male comes along and does his thing. Then on the third day, gone. I have read posts here about separating them into a breeding tank but I am very worried about upsetting their environment. I read the post about the wild discus that spawned in a community tank and the owner was successful with using a tank separator. Thoughts?
Trying to load photos...

John_Nicholson
01-04-2015, 11:24 AM
There are lots of things in play here. First if you want any real success you will ned to put them in their own tank 99.99% of the time. Second how is your water? If it is not fairly soft then the eggs will not hatch anyway. 3rd if you do spawn them how many tanks do you have for growouts? Do you have 2 or 3 75 gallon tanks laying around? Do you have the ability to change that much water? They demance very clean water when young. Do you have an outlet to sell the fry when they are bigger? Or you ready, willing and able to cull the fry with defect? I could go on but you see where I am going. There are lots of things to consider before you decide to dive into the whole raising fry dtuff.

-john

Keith Perkins
01-04-2015, 11:29 AM
IME once discus start spawning it's close to impossible to stop them. If you're serious about wanting to raise fry I wouldn't hesitate to move them. Do you know if you have an actual pair and are they a good pairing?

JimGress
01-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Pretty successful just to get this far, Really never thought of raising fry but with them spawning and spawning I kind of feel obligated. John, I am checking hardness now. Thanks.

JimGress
01-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Water hardness about 30 ppm

JimGress
01-13-2015, 05:59 PM
spawned again Saturday morning...eggs gone Tuesday afternoon. Guess I better move them.

eric88
01-15-2015, 04:22 AM
There are lots of things in play here. First if you want any real success you will ned to put them in their own tank 99.99% of the time. Second how is your water? If it is not fairly soft then the eggs will not hatch anyway. 3rd if you do spawn them how many tanks do you have for growouts? Do you have 2 or 3 75 gallon tanks laying around? Do you have the ability to change that much water? They demance very clean water when young. Do you have an outlet to sell the fry when they are bigger? Or you ready, willing and able to cull the fry with defect? I could go on but you see where I am going. There are lots of things to consider before you decide to dive into the whole raising fry dtuff.

-john

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

JimGress
01-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Thanks John, I will follow up with your suggestions. Appreciate it.