PDA

View Full Version : is this going to end well?

a.person61
01-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Hey guys,
Atm I own a 6 foot empty tank, I'm starting to put stuff in but just wanna Chek what can go wrong. My hart is set on a planted tank so for substrate I've choosen flourite black sand with root tabs. My hart is also set with a pigmy chain carpet (a basic easy plant to keep with discus and there temps) a few rocks laying around then at the back some "trees" using driftwood and java moss and anything else that dose the job. I'll then lay some anubis below the trees and on a single peace of driftwood laying on the floor. For background a custom print to match the size of the tank but it's basicly sky blue (like the ones you see on aquascapes)

Tank mates are tetras, german rams,cory and 8 adult discus. I've never had a planted tank nor have I had discus so I will only add the discus when I feel like I'm ready. My aquaone tank came with a filter that goes on the top I'm also adding smaller filters to mainly helb move the water around. Tamps going to be set on 28. I'm also adding a U.V. filter (helps reduce Algy greatly) due to drought and bills I'll only do 1 water change a week no more then 25%. The water over here is pretty good I'll treat with prime befor adding to tank. Tank WILL GET natural light.
if I missed anything just tell me 😊
Thanks-Austin

paulW
01-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Conventional wisdom is that a 25% water change per week is not enough for discus, even adult ones.
You can try it, but you are more likely not to succeed.
There's so many other great fish for a planted tank.. that might be a better way to go then Discus.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I noticed that no one else responded.

Disgirl
01-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Austin, I have a good idea for you to consider. Rather than discus, I know you love them, how about a different fish that is also beautiful? Your water change plan just won't work well for you. But a 6' tank of beautiful Australian Rainbowfish would be just perfect for you. They come in many colors, live a very long time, will do great in whatever water you have, won't bother your plants at all, and are just plain easy to maintain. I have had many of them over the years so I am well familiar with them. They love natural light and live plants, they will spawn in the morning light. They will eat all fishfoods, rarely get sick, just a very great fish. I recommend the Turquoise, Bosemani, Red, and Green varieties. Truly spectacular, they will mostly grow to 4". I had some that lived over 8 years. As a matter of fact, I think I will set up a tank of them again sometime. They are also active, constantly in motion, and never fight with each other. What do you think??
Barb
"

Tankster
01-09-2015, 05:20 PM
I would say to slow your roll...

I was like you when I first started out. (I say this like I am an old timer, but have only been serious about the hobby for about a year) I was going to have this amazing DSB over-planted tank with discus and cardinals and every cool thing that I came across. I have 240 gallons to fill so was creating a visual orgy in my mind. I started doing A LOT of research and quickly realized, if I wanted to enjoy this hobby, I needed to adjust my expectations and scale it back quite a bit. What I have settled on is a very lightly planted tank (3-5 broad leafed plants + floaters) and to make the focal point the fish. I don't even have water in the display tank yet and I am a year into the process.

You are trying to accomplish 2 advanced skills in aquarium keeping. Planted - it is not easy to do it right - and discus. Most of those beautifully planted display tanks you see with discus on the interweb are set up for a photo-shoot and then broken down. It has done wonders for the planted tank supplier business but the reality is, it is a photo op and not even close to real life. Also keep in mind you are severely limited on the plants you can use due to the water temperature requirements for discus. Lastly, discus require a much more rigorous water change schedule than a typical fish, which is going to remove many of the natural nutrients your fish produce that the plants need to flourish. A healthy environment for discus = an unhealthy environment for plants and a healthy environment for plants = an unhealthy environment for discus. It is a VERY fine line to balance the two.

This is something you should attempt when you are a few years in the hobby. I only say this because if you start off at the finish line and it goes bad, you might throw the towel in.

I am not trying to be a downer, but want you to enjoy the hobby, and based on all I have read and learned, you are probably not going to enjoy it if you go down that road. Start off slow and easy, and build your way up.

Tankster
01-09-2015, 05:22 PM
To bolster what Barb has said - a tank FULL of multiple varieties of small to medium schooling fish in a planted tank looks AMAZING! and it is the right environment for all.

JulieK
01-10-2015, 12:27 AM
A planted tank with rainbows would be spectacular........they are my second favorite fish! I am cycling a 75 right now for my rainbows :)

we4wieners
01-10-2015, 09:30 AM
I just started keeping rainbows and their behavior in the tank is awesome. very active and colorful.

a.person61
01-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Might save discus for another time. I personly don't really like the look of rainbow fish but I'm sure there's a fish on the Web that would be perfect to use as a "show stopper" fish. Any suggestions? I tend to like the "larger" fish more. Thanks

limige
01-14-2015, 05:28 AM
its all about tank stocking. fish vs tank size, and add in substrate problems.

first and foremost stick to bare bottom to make life easier. second if you can only do 25% changes you need to keep your stocking level very low.

2 discus and a handful of cardinals would do fine in a 75 with 25% changes.

you don't have a to change water all the time but you do need to vacuum out the poop on a regular basis and provide top filteration. dont' use foods that will foul the water either. beefheart can be terrible for this.

it can be done.

limige
01-14-2015, 05:33 AM
sorry tried to edit.

if you are set on planting you can pot plants in glass bowls and marbles ect. use driftwood and mosses and floating plants.

substrate is the bane of a healthy discus tank.

the fish will live but usually not thrive

Surfnturf
01-14-2015, 02:26 PM
I say go for it. Your chances may be lower but many people successfully keep discus in planted tanks.

How much natural light? You wouldn't want direct sunlight on your tank.

Andy27012
01-14-2015, 07:48 PM
My suggestion would be to talk to one of the breeders (since they do it for a living) who have sponsored the website and let them know what you want to do. While some things I have been told on here have been seconded a lot of things i worried so much about were dismissed as unessecary and even silly.