PDA

View Full Version : Food

duscusnovice
01-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Has anyone tried the cobalt aquatics discus Hans flake or pellets?
Has anyone tried new life spectrum discus pellets ?

RogueDiscus
01-08-2015, 09:02 PM
I've had good results with NLSD pellets, but I started using it as the best thing my LFS carried when I was getting started. I don't claim to know anything about best discus nutrition beyond what I've read here on SD. There are other, perhaps newer formulation pellets out there.(Forrest's) I still use the NLS pellets, but mostly I feed Al's FDBWs.

FishFanMan
01-09-2015, 12:49 AM
I bought the Cobalt flakes hoping my juvies would love it as much as my BH mix. Big letdown! They ignored it. I'm back to mostly BH mix. Mine likes fluval flakes a tad more. They also ignore NLS 1mm and 0.5mm pellets. I'm going to order Al's worms soon because BH mix is so messy.

Ryan
01-09-2015, 12:54 AM
NLS is a favorite brand among cichlid keepers. I use their Grow micropellets for all my cichlid fry and their NLS Thera-A for my adult cichlids. I can't imagine their discus food would be any lesser quality than the rest of their line.

Still, I always think a variety is best. I still include things like mixed flakes (I buy earthworm, beefheart, spirulina, and blackworm flake, then mix it all into a big container together), frozen and freeze-dried worms, etc. It's best to get your discus eating dried, prepared foods as soon as possible because they are easily spoiled on tastier things and are sometimes hard to convert to flake/pellet later down the line.

timmy82
01-09-2015, 01:25 AM
Al's FDBW clean and easy, gives great growth too I combine that with BH mix also the young love it both and averaging an inch a month growth across spawns.

duscusnovice
01-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all the info.

vanslam
01-10-2015, 11:29 PM
I use Hans Discus flake food every couple of days. My discus really enjoy it.

oliverk
01-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Hans put a small can of the flake in with my order of 10 fish and frozen food.

My fish are all doing well growing nicely and they like the flake when I feed it to them.

Personally, Hans has given me very good advice and I think is a very straight shooter. I believe he has developed a stellar reputation in the community and wouldn't be afraid of a product he endorsed.

duscusnovice
01-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the info