PDA

View Full Version : Best TDS for breeding?

DonMD
01-14-2015, 01:56 PM
I'm definitely on a slide in my breeding program. Before they switched my neighborhood from city water to county water, my fish were successfully breeding left and right. I thought the TDS reading then was 160ppm, but can't swear that's right.

NOW the TDS in the water supply measures 265ppm. So, I purchased an RO system, and tried breeding them in 120ppm water unsuccessfully. Now I have my proven pairs in 70ppm TDS water, and NO LUCK fertilizing the eggs! Everything else seems to be the same; same pairs, same mating behavior, same food and temps, but eggs always turn white.

Could it be a different water parameter that is interfering? Any suggestions on what to do ? ? ? -Don

boonseong
01-14-2015, 02:23 PM
Try one batch with Zero TDS and see if it works out.

Second Hand Pat
01-14-2015, 02:32 PM
Don, what's your GH? A GH about 70 ppm should help.
Pat

dragon1974
01-14-2015, 06:15 PM
Following as I have almost the same situation.

brady
01-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Don, It could be some mineral,chemical, ect. in the water that is different from your previous supply. You should have your water checked out by the local state extension service. I'm on well water and I have it checked out every 3 years.Very inexpensive and I live in Ct.
Also, what do you mean by "country water"
Jay

Rudustin
01-14-2015, 08:02 PM
I am following as well. I am trying peat granules from Floval. In five days my tap water has become perfect for breeding. GH and KH are very low now so I am going to try it with out RO.

alcastro
01-14-2015, 08:42 PM
Don try what Rick suggested to me pull the eggs out after they are fertilized and put them in a container with distilled water add some meth blue for a couple of hours then tranfer them to another container and see if they hatch , make sure you have air and heated water, if they hatch well you have some water problems,
AL

rdiscus
01-14-2015, 09:40 PM
I know it's the same male, but make sure he's doing the job?

DonMD
01-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Don, It could be some mineral,chemical, ect. in the water that is different from your previous supply. You should have your water checked out by the local state extension service. I'm on well water and I have it checked out every 3 years.Very inexpensive and I live in Ct.
Also, what do you mean by "country water"
Jay

I meant county water, sorry.

Discusamazonicos
04-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Any news? I am in the same situation