PDA

View Full Version : New Discus with Old Discus ? * same supplier

Ruell310
01-15-2015, 10:09 PM
Hello to everyone ,

I had a question regarding mixing old discus with new discus.

More details :

I have setup a 100 gal. BB tank. Have some drift wood and just recently a few plants just sort of wedged into the wood but that's it.
It has been cycling for one month. Used quick start and some fish food ( fishless cycle).
Water temp is set around 84 degrees F.
Have been testing water with API master kit.

I was planning on getting a few fish (4-6) around 4" from let's say DiscusHans "OR" Kenny.
After this shipment is received and situated in my tank ( didn't plan on QT since there's nothing in the tank ).
If I order another shipment from the same place , would I need to QT the new fish before adding to the same tank?

please advise and thanks ,

niqhil
01-15-2015, 10:47 PM
Yes , quarantine is always good .

Keith Perkins
01-15-2015, 10:48 PM
It's always a calculated risk. Buying from one of the guys you mentioned, I'd say the risk is about as low as it could possibly be. JMHO

DISCUS STU
01-16-2015, 11:35 AM
Though I have purchased from Hans but not from Kenny; they both seem like reputable suppliers. That having been said, in my haste to cut corners, (read laziness) even though I've always quarantined there were times when I broke it too soon and had virtual tank wide wipeouts. Once burnt twice shy.

Quarantine is always a good idea. In fact, it's the best idea.

Second Hand Pat
01-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Always best to QT...independent of the source.

Quintin
01-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Id say if you allready have discus from either supplier ask them what they would recomend.but in my short experience thus far id say just quarintine 4-6weeks just to be safe.cutting corners have only ended badly for me thus far

bigfish77
01-16-2015, 09:09 PM
I would QT, sometimes disease or quality may not be the only issues. If there are problems with shipping sometimes new discus will have bruised swim bladders and they lay almost flat for hours upon addition to a new tank. You don't want your pre-existing fish bullying someone already stressed thast a recipe for trouble. If your impatient you can always do a short QT where you allow your new arrivals to get used to your water and food for 1-2 weeks. That way once you transfer them over they are already eating well etc and they don't get bullied freshout of the shipping bag. If they are stressed right from arrival chances of them getting sick only increase.

SNap0283
01-21-2015, 12:42 AM
Always good to prevent bad habit forming. QT every time. Things could have always been introduced to your existing fish. Visiting the lfs, swimming in a pond, who knows where you might have introduced a baddie to your current fish. But since they were healthy and fed well and got their daily water change maybe they never got sick. Introducing stressed new fish that just got shipped overnight and the latent baddie that never bothered your fish could rare its ugly head and now with a host fish to run rampant your once healthy fish could get sick and things can snowball quickly. Friends don't let friends skip QT

limige
01-21-2015, 01:23 AM
when ever any importing is involved always QT. preferable in a separate room and be certain to use separate equiptment for cleaning. importing can be a nasty business.

I would prefer to find US bred fish whenever possible. some strains are hard to come by without importing though.

Ed13
01-21-2015, 10:33 AM
The idea of quarantine goes beyond the prevention of direct pathogen transmission. It allows the fish to recover from the stress of shipping and all the consequences of it, like wounds, ammonia burns, and a lowered immune response as well as the reintroduction of food after the fast they are put to prior to shipping. It also allows them to be slowly acclimated to the new environment you provide (light, sound, water current, food temp, etc.) It's not wise to put an already weakened fish, regardless of the source, into an environment that will add more stress. It's better to let it recover before introducing it to established tankmates.

You also have to consider that while you may be getting them from one source, the fish may come from different stock or even breeders and may have been exposed to other species of fish at some point.

Ruell310
01-21-2015, 05:23 PM
I'm understanding the idea of QT , but why all the separate equipment and even a different room ?
Won't new fish eventually be introduced to an already established tank?
Shouldn't I introduce some water or expose some of the ill's from the tank the QT fish will be going into.
I have read the above suggestions and will QT.
But to QT and then introduce to an existing tank , won't that open the path to a sudden exposure of diseases?

limige
01-21-2015, 07:51 PM
importers have a large number of fish moving through their tanks. its way to easy for disease to spread. dealing with top notch guys helps but doesn't prevent it 100%. they might not realize theres a problem until you get your fish. it depends how long they will sit on the inventory before they sell it or if its sold as soon as it arrives.

Rudustin
01-21-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm understanding the idea of QT , but why all the separate equipment and even a different room ?
Shouldn't I introduce some water or expose some of the ill's from the tank the QT fish will be going into.
But to QT and then introduce to an existing tank , won't that open the path to a sudden exposure of diseases? Yes, of course you will introduce possible pathogens and water issues with a hero fish. A fish that you may not be terribly fond of that would, after a proper amount of time in QT, would be introduced from the tank the newcomers are going to, into the QT. Then wait a for a while and if all seems well then you can introduce the newcomers to the existing tank that you wanted them in. It takes time and patience but it does work.

Ed13
01-22-2015, 11:19 AM
But to QT and then introduce to an existing tank , won't that open the path to a sudden exposure of diseases?
Separate equipment and different rooms is to prevent cross contamination. It's easier to deal with problems in one tank and a small number of fish rather than in multiples. I also recommend washing hands between contact of the quarantine tank and the established one.

Every living organism has pathogens in a therapeutic level(non harming), and they differ based on their location and environment. Eventually, exposure is almost inevitable, but hopefully it'll be on your terms. By then, the new fish would have it's wounds healed, regained some weight and strength, increase it's immune response and acclimated itself to it's new environment.

It only takes one really bad experience to learn some safety protocols.;)

Eti
02-11-2015, 01:38 PM
I mixed my fishs from Hans and another reputable discus supplier, my whole tank got wiped out a couple of years ago. My fishs were all super healthy, as soon as I put the fishs from a different breeder, I could see something was wrong. Not a fun thing to watch all your discus dying...
Now, I order only from Hans.