PDA

View Full Version : New cycle or a mini cycle?

JulieK
01-24-2015, 11:39 PM
Hi Guys.....

I recently just got six discus. One 3" the rest are 4". I have them temporarily in a 37 gallon bb tank to grow them out till my 150 gallon is cycled. This tank has been an established tank for the last nine months. Two weeks ago I took out the substrate and the rest of my plants to get it ready for my discus. My levels were 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and between 5-10 nitrates. Got my fish on Tuesday and my ammonia levels are going up......the highest reading being between .75-1.00. When I got that reading I did a 50 percent water change. I didn't feed them on Tuesday and starting feeding them Wednesday with Als freeze dried black worms and Forrest's Aqua Pellets......they are eating great. My question is am I experiencing a mini cycle or did I disturb too much benecial bacteria and am starting a cycle all over again. How often should I be changing water and what percent if I am trying to restablish my cycle? Should I be feeding way less......currently I was feeding four small feedings a day. If I change water once a day how will my tank finally cycle? Thanks in advance :)

John_Nicholson
01-25-2015, 09:36 AM
I am suer you are seeing a mini cycle, but since youe fish are still young and the tank small you should be chaning at least 50% of the water daily. With this you should not have to worry about it. It will be fine.

-john

JulieK
01-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Thank you John :)