PDA

View Full Version : new to discus

rhi
01-25-2015, 03:56 AM
Hey everyone! I have decided to start a discus tank. At the moment, I have nothing avalible to start it but I have an idea. I plan to get a 50 gallon tank. As for a filter, I will be using a fluval 306 (been running for years) and will be setting the tank up as a dirted planted tank. What do you think about this idea? Also I was thinking abouot putting in 4 adults into the tank. Any ideas about what you think, please let me know! I'm excited to get started on this tank and is hoping to get some ideas from the experts. Thanks .

Andy27012
01-25-2015, 05:19 AM
Discus do best in groups of six or as a mated pair. If kept in groups of less then six aggression does not typically get dispersed enough and you risk stressing and or potentially having a fish die. I would put in a single male/female adult pair in the tank vs four.

Kev29
01-25-2015, 05:19 AM
its recommended to have at least a 75 Gallon Tank, 6 Discus and a Bare Bottom if youre growing out juveniles. Also you will need to change the water almost daily or every other day along with feeding them tons of protein if you want a big fish. A planted tank is hard to change water all the time , the baby discus run the risk of becoming stunted in growth. I learned this in only 6 months... Good luck

timmy82
01-25-2015, 06:01 AM
Hi RHI starting out with discus your on the right track with getting adults.
I would look for a larger tank than 50g maybe 75 or 90? so you can have 6 comfortably.
I have adult discus and a comunity planted tank and they go great filtration is a large sump and stocking is light.
Stick with adult discus and see where you end up growing young is much more demanding and not suited for planted tanks bare bottom is the way and lots of water.

rhi
01-25-2015, 02:52 PM
Yes definately. Six is what I would want in the tank as well because they are more of a social fish. Water changes are not really a problem for me as I have 5+ tanks in my house and dont mind taking the extra time to clean the tank if I plan on doing a planted tank. Reason why I dont want to get juveniles is because of probably the health effect that I might cause them if I do something wrong; therefore, I think adult would be the choice because its less fedding and is more hardy. The biggest I can go is 65 (36x18x24) due to the size and angle of my house.

The next question I have is, does having a dirted tank affect the discus in anyway.

Still excited about this tank but I want to do it right the first time. Thanks for all the information so far everyone.