PDA

View Full Version : Grow out tank size

purple_discus
01-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Hello, my first post here on simply discus. I am not new to discus but no expert. I have been keeping aquariums for 8 years now, ranging from nano, planted and reef. My first venture with discus was 2 years ago when I converted my 55g reef tank into a planted discus tank. I made the mistake of buying hormoned fish from my LFS. I was able to raise them up to about 4-5" in my planted tank before I had to part with my setup and move. Now I am making another attempt and very excited about it.

This time, I've converted a low tech 40g planted tank to a bare bottom, currently stocked with 6 neon tetras and Anubis tied to a rock. I've already gotten in the habit of doing 80% wc every day. I have Discus Bio-gold, beef heart and blackworms that I plan to feed 4-6x a day. I have a heater and hob aqua clear filter running with a sponge and chemi pure elite (love this stuff!) and I plan on purchasing 5 or 6 small 2.25" blue diamond discus.

My question is, will 40g be large enough as a grow out? I read an article somewhere that smaller tanks are better for growing out juvies. I also wonder if it would be okay to keep the neon tetras? Later on I plan to sell few of the grown-out discus and upgrade to a larger planted tank.

Second Hand Pat
01-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Hi and welcome to Simply. A 40 breeder is great IMO for starting small juvies. I would start with 8 as you generally have one or two who might stay on the smaller size. The neon tetras can not tolerate discus temps and personally I feel that dither fish should not be in a grow out tank. When the fish get around 3.5 to 4 inches plan on a larger tank as they will need the room.
Pat

purple_discus
01-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Hi and welcome to Simply. A 40 breeder is great IMO for starting small juvies. I would start with 8 as you generally have one or two who might stay on the smaller size. The neon tetras can not tolerate discus temps and personally I feel that dither fish should not be in a grow out tank. When the fish get around 3.5 to 4 inches plan on a larger tank as they will need the room.
Pat

Great, thanks! I'll move the tetras to another tank.

Second Hand Pat
01-26-2015, 09:07 PM
Great, thanks! I'll move the tetras to another tank.

:thumbsup:

discuspaul
01-26-2015, 09:19 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Good to hear you'll be growing out your small young discus in a bare-bottom 40 gal breeder without the dither fish.
Where are you located, and may I ask where you're planning to get your discus ? Certainly hope it's from a reliable, well-known source for supplying healthy, quality discus.
Would love to see some pics when you acquire your new brood and get them settled in.
As you can tell from my avatar, solid color blues are my favorite.

purple_discus
01-26-2015, 10:14 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Good to hear you'll be growing out your small young discus in a bare-bottom 40 gal breeder without the dither fish.
Where are you located, and may I ask where you're planning to get your discus ? Certainly hope it's from a reliable, well-known source for supplying healthy, quality discus.
Would love to see some pics when you acquire your new brood and get them settled in.
As you can tell from my avatar, solid color blues are my favorite.

Thanks! I've been looking into getting my discus from Mac's Discus or Hans sometime this week or next. I will definitely take pics when all is settled ;-)

Larry Bugg
01-26-2015, 10:19 PM
Thanks! I've been looking into getting my discus from Mac's Discus or Hans sometime this week or next. I will definitely take pics when all is settled ;-)

Go with Hans then. You won't be sorry!!!!!

discuspaul
01-26-2015, 11:23 PM
I echo what Larry said - get your discus from Hans !

DISCUS STU
01-29-2015, 11:32 AM
All sounds good but six or a few more Discus will eventually need something larger, at least a 55, to reach their full size potential. Sounds like a good setup. Yes, the Neons will probably expire at temps. of 82 or slightly above that. Been there, tried that. Cardinal and Black Tetras are good and I have them.

With water changes of that size you may not need the Chemi-Pure. While I used to swear by that stuff and still have a lot of it around, I haven't used it in years. There's a controversy regarding carbon and carbon resin based products in regard to Hole-In-The-Head and Lateral line erosion. Some support the argument while others dismiss it. All I know is that I haven't had these issues since discontinuing the use of Chemi-Pure and Chemi-Zorb. Hans is a good and reputable reseller with an excellent reputation.