PDA

View Full Version : New Member - UK

fh1discus
01-28-2015, 07:39 AM
Hi all...

Little introduction to myself, been an avid fishkeeper for nearly 20 years. I have kept various fish ranging from the simple community types to red bellied piranhas, oscars and arowanas.

Never really been too keen on Discus if im honest. About a year ago a friend of mine got into fishkeeping (he is now that addicted he has his own youtube channel and doing pretty well giving advice etc) and he was obsessed with discus.

Anyway about 2 weeks ago i gave in and thought i could do with a new challenge and with me not being into saltwater i thought id try discus! Must say it has been one of the biggest surprises i have come across! I absolutely love them! The colours, the personality how they move and behave so much to them i could never have imagined!

Anyway think i am going on a bit now! Anything you want to know just give me a shout, i will hopefully be having alot of interaction with you guys over the next months giving but also asking for advice and sharing pictures and moments!

Will upload pics(i have plenty already!) later just at work at the mo!

discuspaul
01-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Welcome.
Enjoy the forum, and upload those pics when you can - look forward to seeing them.

jmf3460
01-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Welcome FH1Discus,

I am looking forward to seeing your fish. What part of the UK are you from? I have been to Ireland and it was absolutely beautiful. It is always interesting to see different takes on fishkeeping held by those from different countries.

fh1discus
01-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Welcome FH1Discus,

I am looking forward to seeing your fish. What part of the UK are you from? I have been to Ireland and it was absolutely beautiful. It is always interesting to see different takes on fishkeeping held by those from different countries.

Hi Jacklyn...I'm from Manchester and I agree it is interesting to see the different techniques people use around the world when it comes to fish keeping! No matter how experienced you are you can always pick up a thing or 2!going to try and upload some pics now....

fh1discus
01-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Okay I have no idea how to upload pics...can someone talk me through it?

jmf3460
01-28-2015, 10:23 PM
you have to save them to your photobucket account (free) then you copy and paste the url into the photo thing you see above where you are typing

fh1discus
01-31-2015, 05:12 AM
you have to save them to your photobucket account (free) then you copy and paste the url into the photo thing you see above where you are typing

Havent got a clue how to do this...gutted :(

I mainly use my phone and ipad to come on here so dont know if that is making it difficult

fh1discus
01-31-2015, 07:24 AM
Can anyone tell me how I can log into simply discus from Tapatalk?

Rudustin
01-31-2015, 09:43 AM
Hello fh1discus, Welcome to the forum. I don't want you to think that I am a tech wiz because I am not!!!! LOL! Have been on the forum for a couple of years and I have about eight tanks of discus and I live in Miami Beach, Florida. I used to have a photo sharing website called PhotoBucket. The only camera I use now is my iPhone. So for a while I simply took photos from my phone and transferred them to my computer. Then I would download them to SD by dragging the URL into the reply boxes such as I am using now. It was tedious and time consuming. Now, I have a different photo sharing site called" flickr." Since everything is now in the "cloud" all my photos are automatically pushed to all my devices which include my iPad, my Mac computer and my iPhone. If that is a setting that you have on all of your devices then you can simply upload the selected photos that you wish to eventually download to the forum on to the website of flickr. You can actually drag them to the website. I learned all of this yesterday. The one problem I could not figure out was how to have two tabs on my screen at the same time so I could drag the pictures from flickr to Simply. Once you have figured that out it makes it very easy to post pictures. I hope that I haven't confused you. It took me half a day and some tutoring by a forum administrator yesterday to finally figure it on a Mac. The key was to be able to have two sites appear on the screen at the same time. SD no longer allows Tapatalk due to some privacy issues that presented some problems for the forum so about a month ago, Al, the owner of this forum made an announcement that Tapatalk would not have access to the forum. Hope I have been helpful. I have a lot of friends in the UK. Hope that you can figure out how to post photos we all love photos. Rufus

Second Hand Pat
01-31-2015, 10:49 AM
Can anyone tell me how I can log into simply discus from Tapatalk?

Hi fh1discus and welcome to Simply. We had to disable Tapatalk on the forum due to security reasons.
Pat

fh1discus
01-31-2015, 12:15 PM
Thank you for trying to explain this!i am not tech savvy at all (hence why I stuck to an iPhone and didn't get an android!)don't think I will be able to suss this out unfortunately ��bit gutted because i did want to upload pics etc...will still post on the forum seems like a fun place to be

Again thanks for trying to explaint this to me I'm just useless with using 3rd and 4th places etc to store and upload pics

Rudustin
01-31-2015, 12:19 PM
Thank you for trying to explain this!i am not tech savvy at all (hence why I stuck to an iPhone and didn't get an android!)don't think I will be able to suss this out unfortunately ��bit gutted because i did want to upload pics etc...will still post on the forum seems like a fun place to be

Again thanks for trying to explaint this to me I'm just useless with using 3rd and 4th places etc to store and upload pics I completely understand your frustration about that and I was pretty frustrated as well until I took the time to really figure it out with the help of Pat, her daughter and the help window on my computer which explained it so well! I just had to be patient and a bit pragmatic, which is not my deal in general, to figure it all out. Best of luck. rufus

Second Hand Pat
01-31-2015, 12:31 PM

Again thanks for trying to explaint this to me I'm just useless with using 3rd and 4th places etc to store and upload pics

If you have access to a computer we can help with setup and using a online hosting site such as photobucket or flickr. When I want to get a picture or two off my phone I simply email to myself.

fh1discus
02-01-2015, 11:31 PM
hi guys..thanks for going out of your way to help me but because of how i would struggle to upload pics and also not being able to use tapatalk i dont think this is the place for me.

Genuinley wish you all the best with the future both on simply discus and also with fishkeeping

Second Hand Pat
02-01-2015, 11:43 PM
There is a UK based site for discus keepers called BIDKA http://www.bidka.org/ and it has a forum. Perhaps that would be more to your liking plus a bit closer to home.
Pat