PDA

View Full Version : CO2 flow

paleo
01-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Hi,

My tank measures 150 x 60 x 45 cm, and contains about 350 litres. It is lit by 3 85w T5s, with reflectors. The filter is an Eheim 2076, which is rated at 1650 litres/hour. The spray bar is at one of the short ends of the tank, about 15 cm below the waterline, with the holes pointing upwards at about 45 degrees. At the other short end there is the filter intake, as well as a small power head, about 10 cm below the waterline. This results in a circular flow of the surface water, and some agitation. Without this agitation, the fish start gasping at the surface. There is a pressurised CO2 system, controlled by a pH probe. The CO2 goes into a Dennerle Cyclo, the outlet of which is next to the intake of the filter. An Eheim aquaball is connected to the Cyclo. At present, there are few plants or fish. My aim is to keep about 6 discus, an appropriate amount of tetras, and to have lush plant growth of undemanding plants.

The flow around the tank is not sufficient, and the dissolved CO2 is on the low side. Not all plants sway, and the dissolved CO2 is at about 20 mg/l.

In order to correct this, I am considering having a long spray bar along the back of the tank, connected to the Eheim 2076. The return flow would pass through an Aquamedic CO2 1000 reactor.

I have read that the total rated flow of the filters/powerheads should be about 10x the volume of the tank, and should all point in the same direction. The only way I can think of at the moment of achieving that is to have 2 Eheim 2076, which would give me a total rated flow of 3300 litres per hour, 2 CO2 reactors, and two spray bars at the back of the tank, which meet in the middle. This approach is a tad intense, and not cheap.

As the CO2 is controlled by a probe, it would switch off when a set pH level is reached. The fish are therefore unlikely to be poisoned by too much CO2, though the level of CO2 in the tank might rise rapidly when it is injected.

Discus are said not to like strong flow in their tank, and their well-being is obviously most important.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to achieve better flow without freaking the fish?