PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing strains and planning

gustav11
01-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Hello everyone, first of all, my name is Gustavo, i am from Brazil, the homeland of discus, i am 14 years old, will be 15 in may, i have experience with discus, even had a pair laying eggs, though, i had an accident with a canister, long story, sad story, ended up losing them, now 1 year later i'm back in the hobby, with a 250 litres(55UK gal/66US gal) a 300 litres (66UK gal/80US gal) and a 100 litres (22UK gal/26US gal);

So, the 250l is currently with 10 tetra jewel, 24 tetra neon, 8 schwartz's corys and 8 Red Marlboros 3-5cm(1-2"), the tank is a 100x50x50cm (40x20x20"), yeah, i know, i know, "10 gallons per discus!", the point in having 8 of them is so i can get at the bare minimum 6 of them that reach full size and that wont be bothered by the infamous "pecking order". "Sooo... this tank is only for raising them ?" yeah, right now it is, when they get a little bit bigger(actually, when they start forming pairs), i will change them to the 300 litre (the small fish, and the plants are staying),also i'm going to make 2 or 4 breeding tanks with 110 liters (25UK gal/30US gal), most probably 2, so, i will have the 2 breeding tanks, the 100 litre for growing the fry or use as a breeding tank anyway, the 250 litres, for making F2 pairs for breeding for me and for selling, so here comes the questions i have:

-Would those tanks suffice ?
300 litres for up to 12 adults discus (12, when all the adult breeders are in there)
2 x 110 litres for breeding and for growing the fry a little bit
100 litres for growing some more fry
250 litres(with the small fish) for pairing F2 fish (either for me or for selling)

-What strains would mix well with the RMs ?
i really fancy a good RM x WD(White Diamond) pair, as it was my first egg laying pair, what would you people think of their fry ?
also i really like checkerboards, and i am open to suggestions.

I hope i wrote it well enough, i have not participated in english forums in quite a long time, so please forgive me if i made some typos or if my vocabulary is confusing;
By the way, later i'll post some photos of the tanks i have, and later i will go trough "Color Inheritance" and "Discus Genetics and Breeding Info and Discussion", most likely in the weekend when i have time;
Thank you, Gustavo.