PDA

View Full Version : Is Manzanita Wood Risky for Discus?

Kev29
01-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Got Some Manzanita wood but it seems to be a risky putting it in the tank because of all the sharp point and branches. Im trying to think of a way of laying it without risking them swimming into them and damaging themselves.

Altum Nut
01-30-2015, 05:15 PM
You can cut and sand the sharp edges first if your concerned. There are many that arrange the wood facing downwards which resemble tree roots. If your pieces are small you can tie them together using fishing line.
Just make sure they are clean first and don't have any sprayed on chemicals used in flower shops.

...Ralph

fishtanktenderfoot
01-30-2015, 06:04 PM
When I first set up my tank, I ordered sandblasted manzanita branch. I invested a few hours "prepping" the branch after I received - (1) cutting all the small off-shoots, and (2) then using an electric hand held sander to smooth all the knotty and pointy parts. The stick was tough, and this took forever. I really liked the look of it in the tank, and my fish loved it.

I had it sideways at first, but they would get scratched up on occasion. Never any serious injury, but I eventually turned it to point down (drilled a hole in the stem and hung it from above). This also allowed some "give" if they did ram into it, since it wasn't anchored on the bottom.

In the end, though, I removed it and went with a fake ceramic thing. I had it in there for a total of 4 months or so, and I was having to pull it out every week or two to scrub the fungus off. It probably would have eventually cleared up, but it drove me crazy. It looked good, though!

Bill63SG
01-30-2015, 10:25 PM
A lot of us use manzanita,its fine.The fungus clears up,and if you have a bristlenose pleco it will eat it.

we4wieners
01-30-2015, 11:07 PM
I certainly paid for it with one of my 6" turqs destroying his eye. I lost him in treatment. I have since trimmed all suspicious branches. Wish I would have asked, like you did, prior to dropping it in my tank.

Kev29
01-30-2015, 11:16 PM
thanks guys. the wood looks so good.. I need to find a way to put it upside down with the sharp parts facing down buried. Ill take some pictures tomorrow, and yes the mold has begun.

RogueDiscus
01-31-2015, 02:05 AM
We have madrone that grows here. I've always thought it was similar. Anyone know of any problems?

pastry
01-31-2015, 01:18 PM
Always risk involved and I've had a few injuries to fish due to my driftwood but few & far between. Also, I second what Bill said about the white fungus.

Kirbs
01-31-2015, 05:36 PM
I had that problem too with the fungus. Put in Bristlenose Plecos like Bill & haven't seen it since!