PDA

View Full Version : Should I add API Stress Zymme or Stress Coat during water changes?

AaronCox
01-31-2015, 03:21 PM
Hello all,

I am very new to keeping discus...and fairly new to keeping fish in general (we've had tetras and platies for just over a year now, and have had discus for the past two months) My tank is 50 gallons with gravel and currently has two 4" discus(had three one died last week...) in it along with 7 tetras. I do 50% water changes every other day, with non aged well water. The temp. of the tank is 85.

When I only had tetra's I often times added Stress Zyme and Quick Start to the tank at water changes....dosing for the total water volume. In the discus tank should I continue to add Stress Zyme or Stress Coat? Or should I just add Quick Start...or nothing?

Thanks for such an amazing resource....the amount of information contained on this forum is incredible, and I appreciate any advice.

aaron

Bill63SG
01-31-2015, 03:48 PM
Not familiar with Quick Start,but if that is your de-chlor,just use that,and continue dosing for the entire tank volume.You don't need the others.

blueluv
01-31-2015, 06:56 PM
Hello all,

I am very new to keeping discus...and fairly new to keeping fish in general (we've had tetras and platies for just over a year now, and have had discus for the past two months) My tank is 50 gallons with gravel and currently has two 4" discus(had three one died last week...) in it along with 7 tetras. I do 50% water changes every other day, with non aged well water. The temp. of the tank is 85.

When I only had tetra's I often times added Stress Zyme and Quick Start to the tank at water changes....dosing for the total water volume. In the discus tank should I continue to add Stress Zyme or Stress Coat? Or should I just add Quick Start...or nothing?
Hello

Thanks for such an amazing resource....the amount of information contained on this forum is incredible, and I appreciate any advice.

aaron
Hey Aaron. If you have an established filter then theirs no need to use stress zyme or quick start. We would need a little more detail about your water parameters. Are you on city water or well ? Discus should be kept in a group of at least 6. May I suggest that you do some reading in the beginners section. In the meantime to if I can answer any questions please ask.

blueluv
01-31-2015, 06:57 PM
Not familiar with Quick Start,but if that is your de-chlor,just use that,and continue dosing for the entire tank volume.You don't need the others.
Hey Bill. Quick Start is a bacterial additive

ericNH
02-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Hey Aaron. If you have an established filter then theirs no need to use stress zyme or quick start. We would need a little more detail about your water parameters. Are you on city water or well ? Discus should be kept in a group of at least 6. May I suggest that you do some reading in the beginners section. In the meantime to if I can answer any questions please ask.

He states in his first post that he is on well-water, and he doesn't age it.

Keith Perkins
02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Nothing. All you're doing with those products in your situation is making your LFS happy generating revenue. Stress coat/zyme has little to no benefit, and in an established tank quick start has about the same.

AaronCox
02-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks all for the replies,

BlueLuv I hope in the next few weeks to acquire some more fish, I have been saving up pennies and dimes! I started with three in case I totally botched something I wasn't out hundreds of dollars (well at least a little less;) )
I have been reading in the beginners section quite a bit and often times see where it folks are adding Seachem Prime during water changes. Which made me wonder if anything is really necessary?
The tank has been established for over a year, with no Nitrites,no Ammonia and Nitrates less than 5 .

Once again thanks for all the advice and help...the amount of knowledge here is extraordinary.

aaron

blueluv
02-01-2015, 03:45 PM
He states in his first post that he is on well-water, and he doesn't age it.

Thanks. I guess my question should have geared towards if has tested his water.

ericNH
02-01-2015, 05:46 PM
I would have answered his question, but i don't have much experience using any of those products.

AaronCox
02-02-2015, 12:04 AM
I have done the basics on my water...although I have not tested its hardness. No chlorine, no nitrates or nitrite and no ammonia. My ph from the tap was about 7.6 if I age my water the ph is about 7.8 and in the tank it's about 7.8 (I say about because I am not using a meter)

Is there more I need to check?

Thanks
Aaron

AaronCox
02-02-2015, 12:20 AM
So I just figured out seachem prime is really to take of chlorine and chloramin....it's not nitrifying bacteria, as APi quick start claims to be. Perhaps a better question is this....
I am using an eheim canister filter, and have 2" of substrate in the tank. When I do my water changes(fifty percent, every other day of unaged well water) I vacuum the gravel. Is the bacteria that remains in the filter enough to carry on biological filtration or is a product like Quick Start nessasary?

Thanks
Aaron

Second Hand Pat
02-02-2015, 12:25 AM
Hi Aaron, vacuuming your gravel will not effect your beneficial bacteria so Quick Start is not needed.
Pat

AaronCox
02-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Pat,
Thanks for the clarification.

You all just saved me a bit of money each week....which of course can now be spent on new discus. :)

Aaron

Second Hand Pat
02-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Cool Aaron, :) just remember to QT any new fish.
Pat