PDA

View Full Version : new tank

slp
02-02-2015, 11:11 PM
I had some discus several years ago and just purchased a 75 gal. Tank. Have fulval 406 canaster filter. Just filled it and will cycle about 3 weeks to order fish ( probably from Hans). I want to do it right this time. The last time I had them, I bought them from a local pet store and didn't really know what I was buying. I have read a lot of the posts on SD and am setting up following the suggestions of some of you long time expert discus keepers. I have a 300 watt heater, and an air pump which should be here in a couple of days. I have a question about lighting. Currently have a marineland 36" (486 lums) it is not enough. Can anyone help me with suggestions on a better light that will show off my new acquisitions.

I am sure I will have lots of questions in the future.

Thanks
Steve

afriend
02-03-2015, 10:25 AM
I had some discus several years ago and just purchased a 75 gal. Tank. Have fulval 406 canaster filter. Just filled it and will cycle about 3 weeks to order fish ( probably from Hans). I want to do it right this time. The last time I had them, I bought them from a local pet store and didn't really know what I was buying. I have read a lot of the posts on SD and am setting up following the suggestions of some of you long time expert discus keepers. I have a 300 watt heater, and an air pump which should be here in a couple of days. I have a question about lighting. Currently have a marineland 36" (486 lums) it is not enough. Can anyone help me with suggestions on a better light that will show off my new acquisitions.

I am sure I will have lots of questions in the future.

Thanks
Steve

Steve,

Buying from Hans (or any other sponsor listed in the SD list) is a wise choice in my opinion. I would like to make a suggestion regarding future discus that you may be considering adding to them. Before deciding to add discus from a second source, do some research on the SD forum about mixing discus from two different sources.

Good luck to you and welcome to the SD forum.

Paul

dprais1
02-03-2015, 10:38 AM
I have a marineland LED double bright. I actually have a 24" model on a 36" tank for my angelfish. I put it on a $5.00 timer so it is only on for a couple hours in the morning and then turns on again in the afternoon.

For my tastes it was actually TOO bright, I ended up covering each led with 2 layers of masking tape to make it dimmer. I wouldn't recommend it for growing plants.

I really like this light.

slp
02-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Steve,

Buying from Hans (or any other sponsor listed in the SD list) is a wise choice in my opinion. I would like to make a suggestion regarding future discus that you may be considering adding to them. Before deciding to add discus from a second source, do some research on the SD forum about mixing discus from two different sources.

Good luck to you and welcome to the SD forum.

Paul

I have been reading some here about this. I plan on only using one source, as long as I get good results From it. I have been reading what others say about Hans and it seems as though everyone is satisfied. I will probably get 6, 3+ from him. I an still thinking about the different strains. Every time I see pictures of one I like, I want it. Then I see another one I like better. I guess I will have to make a decision when I order them. Tha so still 2 or 3 weeks away as my tank is still cycling.

slp
02-03-2015, 11:14 AM
I will look at this light. I think I will buy it locally. That way if it doesn't work for my tank, I can return it.

Thanks