PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding New Filter

ImperatorVires
02-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Sorry, if this isn't in the right spot, and this is a general fish related question I have.

I've been using a Aqueon Quiet flow 10, in my 10 gallon guppy tank. This tank has been established for a over a year now, but I decided to put a different filter that had more mechanical filtration, as well as better biological. So I just bought a Fluva/Aquaclear 30 for the tank. I currently have them both running, and my question is, How long will it take for for the bacteria to build up on the new filter media? I've heard a month or so, how do you REALLY know? Will I just have to take the old filter off for a day or two and check the water parameters? I don't want to have a ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate spike and kill my fish. Thanks for the help guys!

krislewis3
02-03-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm no expert, but I think it's acceptable to put some of the used biological filter media from your old filter, and put it into the new filter, which should cover your benificial bacteriea needs for the tank.
I've done this in the past with no problem!

pitdogg2
02-03-2015, 01:51 PM
I'm no expert, but I think it's acceptable to put some of the used biological filter media from your old filter, and put it into the new filter, which should cover your benificial bacteriea needs for the tank.
I've done this in the past with no problem!

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bill63SG
02-03-2015, 02:31 PM
3-4 weeks,but using the old media like mentioned above is the way to go.

ImperatorVires
02-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Thanks for answers! I appreciate all the help!